400 Irish priests claim new Mass translation is ‘elitist and sexist’
Its my considered opinion that "most" OF (NO) priests are just too damned lazy to learn something new. and I'm tired of hearing that they are over worked. Most of them wouldn't last two weeks in the secular work force. Remember, I said "most" , not all.  :o
(02-04-2011, 08:15 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Huh.  I didn't pick up what exactly they think is sexist about it.

Must be the part where we don't refer to God as a woman.

They say: "Many women will be rightly enraged by the continued deliberate use of non-inclusive language. The Association of Catholic Priests strongly opposes the introduction and use of any texts which will insult and offend women who are at the heart of every Christian community in Ireland."

http://www.associationofcatholicpriests....cal-texts/

Had to post the "objectives" of the so-called Association of Catholic Priests, from their website:

Quote:Providing a voice for Irish Catholic priests at a time when that voice is largely silent and needs to be expressed.

Giving an opportunity for Irish priests to engage proactively with the crucial debates taking place in Irish society

Full implementation of the vision and teaching of the Second Vatican Council, with special emphasis on:

◦the primacy of the individual conscience.
◦the status and active participation of all the baptised.
◦the task of establishing a Church where all believers will be treated as equal.
A redesigning of Ministry in the Church, in order to incorporate the gifts, wisdom and expertise of the entire faith community, male and female.

A re-structuring of the governing system of the Church, basing it on service rather than on power, and encouraging at every level a culture of consultation and transparency, particularly in the appointment of Church leaders.

A culture in which the local bishop and the priests relate to each other in a spirit of trust, support and generosity.

A re-evaluation of Catholic sexual teaching and practice that recognizes the profound mystery of human sexuality and the experience and wisdom of God’s people.

Promotion of peace, justice and the protection of God’s creation locally, nationally and globally.

Recognition that Church and State are separate and that while the Church must preach the message of the Gospel and try to live it authentically, the State has the task of enacting laws for all its citizens.

Liturgical celebrations that use rituals and language that are easily understood, inclusive and accessible to all.

Strengthening relationships with our fellow Christians and other faiths.

Full acceptance that the Spirit speaks through all people, including those of faiths other than Christian and those of no religious faith, so that the breath of the Spirit will flow more freely.

(02-08-2011, 01:33 PM)Anthem Wrote: Full acceptance that the Spirit speaks through all people, including those of faiths other than Christian and those of no religious faith, so that the breath of the Spirit will flow more freely.

The Spirit of the World, maybe. Sheesh.
(02-05-2011, 07:34 AM)Revixit Wrote: i don't buy into the argument that people won't understand what 'consubstantial' means, but i'm not sure why it was thought necessary to change 'one in being' to 'consubstantial.'  'one in being' is clear and rather poetic. 

This has to be changed because "one in being" is so vague as to be meaningless.  "Being" is too vague a term to convey the faith.  An ashtray is "one in being" with the Father in the sense that they both exist.  Literally anything that exists, including the Devil, could be said to be "one in being" with God.  "Consubstantial" respects the accuracy of the terminology settled by the holy fathers of Nicea and its faithful translation into Latin.  Our language has to be ultra-precise here - it is the Creed, after all!
(02-08-2011, 01:33 PM)Anthem Wrote: Had to post the "objectives" of the so-called Association of Catholic Priests, from their website:

Quote:Providing a voice for Irish Catholic priests at a time when that voice is largely silent and needs to be expressed.

Giving an opportunity for Irish priests to engage proactively with the crucial debates taking place in Irish society

Full implementation of the vision and teaching of the Second Vatican Council, with special emphasis on:

◦the task of establishing a Church where all believers will be treated as equal.
A redesigning of Ministry in the Church, in order to incorporate the gifts, wisdom and expertise of the entire faith community, male and female.

A re-structuring of the governing system of the Church, basing it on service rather than on power, and encouraging at every level a culture of consultation and transparency, particularly in the appointment of Church leaders.

A culture in which the local bishop and the priests relate to each other in a spirit of trust, support and generosity.

A re-evaluation of Catholic sexual teaching and practice that recognizes the profound mystery of human sexuality and the experience and wisdom of God’s people.

Promotion of peace, justice and the protection of God’s creation locally, nationally and globally.

Recognition that Church and State are separate and that while the Church must preach the message of the Gospel and try to live it authentically, the State has the task of enacting laws for all its citizens.

Liturgical celebrations that use rituals and language that are easily understood, inclusive and accessible to all.

Full acceptance that the Spirit speaks through all people, including those of faiths other than Christian and those of no religious faith, so that the breath of the Spirit will flow more freely.

It reads like the dying wishes of a terminally ill spinster....
(02-08-2011, 01:33 PM)Anthem Wrote: Had to post the "objectives" of the so-called Association of Catholic Priests, from their website:

the task of establishing a Church where all believers will be treated as equal.

As if we needed any more proof that the libs are building a new Church.  Aka, a new synagogue of Satan.  :pray2:
(02-08-2011, 10:44 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 08:15 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Huh.  I didn't pick up what exactly they think is sexist about it.

Must be the part where we don't refer to God as a woman.

They say: "Many women will be rightly enraged by the continued deliberate use of non-inclusive language. The Association of Catholic Priests strongly opposes the introduction and use of any texts which will insult and offend women who are at the heart of every Christian community in Ireland."

http://www.associationofcatholicpriests....cal-texts/

Bullshit.  Excuse me, but bullshit.  none of those priests are women.  They don't know what they're talking about.  And if there really are women that think this, they need to go over their catechism.  What a deplorably pathetic reason to raise arms against the faith- "non inclusive" language. 

I'm sure there are plenty non-denominationals with folding chairs and kool-aid that would be happy to have them attend self-affirmation services. 

What a load.

More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
And further, if a woman is offended by the mass- offended by the mass- she needs to question why she is going to mass.  "offended" by the mass?

Are we talking about catholics here?  I'm so angry right now so I'm stopping.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(02-09-2011, 11:16 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: And further, if a woman is offended by the mass- offended by the mass- she needs to question why she is going to mass.  "offended" by the mass?

Are we talking about catholics here?  I'm so angry right now so I'm stopping.

Catholics in name only. Probably folks who don't even attend mass regularly.

"On the basis of annual head-counts in the Churches of the Archdiocese, it would appear that on any normal Sunday about 20% of the Catholic population of the Archdiocese of Dublin is present at Mass. That is significantly lower than in any other diocese in Ireland. In more than one parish the Sunday practice rate is about 3%... The liturgy is not a performance but an action in which God’s people actively participate." -- From the Feb. 5, 2011 homily of Msgr. Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin, at the 2011 Spring Seminar of the Dublin Diocesan Liturgical Resource Centre

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=19978542&postID=684857929038191836