400 Irish priests claim new Mass translation is ‘elitist and sexist’
(02-04-2011, 07:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: "He is in our midst" for "et cum spiritu tuo" is not a mere mistranslation but a deliberate attempt at perverting the liturgical text. In this case, it's most likely to downgrade the difference between the consecrated priesthood and the priesthood of believers. The whole affair smacks of Protestant influences. After the priest prays that the Lord be with the assembly, they don't pray it back to him. No, they affirm that Christ is already present in the midst of them! Therhttp://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php?action=post;quote=33405057;topic=3436161.10;num_replies=27;sesc=725dc4cc0138511d55ee5217534e1c73e's no longer that clear division between the laity and the priest. Acording to these heretics, this "mistranslation" thus comes into better accord with the scriptural passage "For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matt.18:20)

Yes, I think there were certainly some deliberate mistranslations, as well.  The variety of translations from language to language is evidence of that, isn't it?  I think also the use of "one in being with" instead of "consubstantial" is another horrible dilution of Catholic dogma.  The two ideas are not the same, which is precisely why they are contained in quite different phrases.  Breaks from the Church have happened over single words ("filioque" in the Creed).

Messages In This Thread
Re: 400 Irish priests claim new Mass translation is ‘elitist and sexist’ - by quotidianum - 02-06-2011, 02:29 AM