Relative in trouble
I have a  relative who has not been practicing the Faith for some time now  [at least 2 years]. Now it has come to my attention that he is  "hanging out with a girl" that is going through a divorce. Should I confront the relative with how it is wrong to date a married  woman [ shouldn't he know this?]  or should I just pray for his conversion as I have been for some time.  He can be pretty defensive at times too. Please help. What would be the prudent thing to do?
You asked about whether or not to first pray for your relative's conversion.  I agree this ought to be the primary focus of your prayers at this time (else "cart before the horse").  Your relative's lifestyle issues can then be addressed once he has the Holy Spirit enabling his sanctification.  Blessings to you and your relative.
I agree with PJ.  A frontal assault sounds like a bad idea in this case.  Prayers and a green scapular and setting an example with your own life is the way in this case.  Cry with him and laugh with him as a Christian should.  If he asks your opinion, tell him what you think, but I wouldn't confront him.
(02-05-2011, 03:48 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: I agree with PJ.  A frontal assault sounds like a bad idea in this case.  Prayers and a green scapular and setting an example with your own life is the way in this case.  Cry with him and laugh with him as a Christian should.  If he asks your opinion, tell him what you think, but I wouldn't confront him.
Edit
I've confronted many, and it never works. All it does is let you get it off your chest.  Everything I say now goes through a filter. You do not want to live like that, it serves no purpose, and alienates them. Quis' advice is spot on. !

tim

Thanks and God  bless to all that have responded thus far. Hopefully it does not get serious cause that could open up a new can of worms. what I mean is to try not to give the impression that I approve.
Justin,
One other thing to consider is whether or not you think your correction would make him better.

See here: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3033.htm#article6

Before considering that, however, you might first want to use the means suggested by the other posters (i.e. prayers, good example).  Maybe you could be more subtle and ask him to attend Holy Mass with you?  That way, you could gradually lead him to the idea that he shouldn't be seeing a soon-to-be-divorced woman.  Maybe he'll be inspired to relearn the Faith, or, God willing, to go to Confession.  Such situations would make it even easier to inform him of what he should and shouldn't be doing (and he'll be more likely to accept what you have to say, if he's sincere in doing either of those two things).

God bless!  :pray: