Ghosts,Spirits, amd Mediums.....
Yes, it is illegal.  Doesn't mean it can't work.  Look at reports of modern Wiccans.  Also, observe the outcome of what happened to Saul.  The witch, barring some miracle, probably also went to hell for it.

I find the Magi more perplexing.  They obviously were soothsaying with a Star.  BUT, the difference is that they were not forbidden this as they were ignorant.  Not so with Saul.  And, in defense of the Magi, perhaps they were astronomers that noticed a miraculous star out of place, and maybe God sent an angel to tell them to follow it.  There was a lot of overlap between science and magic until recently.

And look at the Aztecs.  They were basically waiting for the Spanish to show up.  They had some pretty convincing prophecy about it.  Again, they didn't know any better.
(02-14-2011, 12:28 PM)James02 Wrote: Yes, it is illegal.  Doesn't mean it can't work.  Look at reports of modern Wiccans.  Also, observe the outcome of what happened to Saul.  The witch, barring some miracle, probably also went to hell for it.

I find the Magi more perplexing.  They obviously were soothsaying with a Star.  BUT, the difference is that they were not forbidden this as they were ignorant.  Not so with Saul.  And, in defense of the Magi, perhaps they were astronomers that noticed a miraculous star out of place, and maybe God sent an angel to tell them to follow it.  There was a lot of overlap between science and magic until recently.

And look at the Aztecs.  They were basically waiting for the Spanish to show up.  They had some pretty convincing prophecy about it.  Again, they didn't know any better.

There were so many prophecies about the coming of Christ. They made their way to foreign lands in ancient times.

Numbers 24 17:I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not near. A STAR SHALL RISE out of Jacob and a sceptre shall spring up from Israel: and shall strike the chiefs of Moab, and shall waste all the children of Seth.

How 'bout those Mayans...  :o Is the world going to end in 2012?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(02-14-2011, 12:28 PM)James02 Wrote: I find the Magi more perplexing.  They obviously were soothsaying with a Star.  BUT, the difference is that they were not forbidden this as they were ignorant.  Not so with Saul.  And, in defense of the Magi, perhaps they were astronomers that noticed a miraculous star out of place, and maybe God sent an angel to tell them to follow it.  There was a lot of overlap between science and magic until recently.

There are a lot of apologies for the Magi, but that isn't one of them.  The Magi were astrologers and followers of the Zoroastrian religion.  I.e., they were gentiles and giving homage to the Christ child solely from Reason - astrology rather than Revelation as the Jews should have known Him.

Though arguments were made against it time-to-time from the Patristic era, astrology wasn't a big problem until post-"Enlightenment".  In fact, Bl. Hildegard of Bingen has astrological considerations in her approved writings.

(02-14-2011, 02:02 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(02-14-2011, 12:28 PM)James02 Wrote: I find the Magi more perplexing.  They obviously were soothsaying with a Star.  BUT, the difference is that they were not forbidden this as they were ignorant.  Not so with Saul.  And, in defense of the Magi, perhaps they were astronomers that noticed a miraculous star out of place, and maybe God sent an angel to tell them to follow it.  There was a lot of overlap between science and magic until recently.

There are a lot of apologies for the Magi, but that isn't one of them.  The Magi were astrologers and followers of the Zoroastrian religion.  I.e., they were gentiles and giving homage to the Christ child solely from Reason - astrology rather than Revelation as the Jews should have known Him.

Though arguments were made against it time-to-time from the Patristic era, astrology wasn't a big problem until post-"Enlightenment".  In fact, Bl. Hildegard of Bingen has astrological considerations in her approved writings.
Yes the Maji were Persians, were they not? They were kings from modern day Iran coming bearing gifts to the Son Of God himself, I always believed that this had some kind of spiritual significance, I believe they even had a message from an angel warning them about not returning to Herod's court after they seen the baby Jesus.
(02-14-2011, 02:01 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: How 'bout those Mayans...  :o Is the world going to end in 2012?

There was an article, I think it might have been posted up here yonks ago, about a Mayan elder who stated that there is no Mayan belief in a 2012 doomsday.
If I recall correctly, the whole 2012 thing was simply the end of one block of calendar dates, as each "epoch" or something was dated in blocks. A new one begins directly afterwards.
(02-14-2011, 10:02 PM)Arun Wrote:
(02-14-2011, 02:01 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: How 'bout those Mayans...  :o Is the world going to end in 2012?

There was an article, I think it might have been posted up here yonks ago, about a Mayan elder who stated that there is no Mayan belief in a 2012 doomsday.
If I recall correctly, the whole 2012 thing was simply the end of one block of calendar dates, as each "epoch" or something was dated in blocks. A new one begins directly afterwards.

"But of that day and hour no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone." Matthew 24:36
Yeah, it was on here.

Link: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...906.0.html