Why claim that smoking is not a sin?
I saw the claim made on another thread that smoking is not a sin.  (Vetus Ordo said it, but others seemed to agree.)  I do not understand the reasoning behind saying that knowingly doing something that is harmful to oneself and others is not a sin.  How could it be anything other than a sin?
I'm going now to confess in a bit...ate a bunch of  McD's burgers recently. Very sinful,very detrimental to ones Temple.
(02-12-2011, 04:32 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: I'm going now to confess in a bit...ate a bunch of  McD's burgers recently. Very sinful,very detrimental to ones Temple.

I'm guessing this is sarcasm and you are making the point that eating unhealthy food is not a sin.  If so, I disagree.  We have a responsibility to take care of our bodies.  They belong to God.
Smoking is  not a sin. If it is a sin why hasn't the church csme out with it? Seems you are tyinro push a modern ideology on the faith Jayne
(02-12-2011, 04:37 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Smoking is  not a sin. If it is a sin why hasn't the church csme out with it? Seems you are tyinro push a modern ideology on the faith Jayne

Or resurrect some odd form of Puritanism...

Oh,and smoking wasn't always bad.not until "they" started adding all those nasty chemicals.Heck,the EU is trying to ban Mass incense!That's a  form of smoking...
Forgive me father for I have sinned...I ate a whole bag of mini Baby Ruths....

Seriously..you would be run out of the confessional.
Habitual Ritual, my son, had they been butterfingers, it would have only been venial. Make a good act of contrition, and say a rosary for the repose of Babe Ruth's soul. :)

Here in Chicago back some years the Cardinal offered a $500.00 bonus to each priest that quite smoking cigarettes. If it was sinful he wouldn't have offered a reward.

timotheus
(02-12-2011, 04:37 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Smoking is  not a sin. If it is a sin why hasn't the church csme out with it? Seems you are tyinro push a modern ideology on the faith Jayne

We have only recently discovered how unhealthy smoking is for the smoker and others.  Any teaching specifically about smoking would necessarily be recent.  But general principles about not causing harm to self and others go back to the beginning of the Church.
Bullshit
(02-12-2011, 04:48 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: Or resurrect some odd form of Puritanism...

Puritanism involves being suspicious of pleasure and beauty.  Under the influence of puritanism, people opposed smoking before it was known to be harmful.  Their reasoning was wrong.  But we know what smoking does to people's bodies.  We know that is an abuse of our bodies.