Why claim that smoking is not a sin?
(02-13-2011, 02:05 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: Hardly. U would have a poin if yo culd onl eat your meal at one place. But don't. Itsvlike fling to a pub thas plays shirt tunes. Ok if u don't like it go to a different pub. Wha gives? NO one is forcin u to eat at a given place. U laud the gov forcing owners to bow to your cultish ideas
bullshit!
It's simple if I don't like a certain pub for whateer the reasons I'll just go to a differnet one or one that's suits me
rather then make a pouting stink to have the gov enforce my ideas on owners

I'm not a fan of the government telling me what to do, but...

Before they banned smoking in bars (same thing as pubs) here in Madison, WI, there was no such thing as a smoke-free bar. It's easy to say "if you don't like this one, go to another one", but there was no other one to go to. They were all full of smoke all the time.

It's none of the government's business what I do to my own body, but they do have a right to stop me from polluting everyone else's air.
You Dan pray whle u smoke or s oek while u pray
I csnt remember how it goes but it's an old joke
But now  all pubs r non smoking seems the best thng to do now is have both. Unless it's an ideologcal or new religion srivng it
I should be up to w ers who own the property not the gov and vile beurocrats
the common good is more important than supposedly sacred business ownership. If a bookseller would allow smoking in his establishment than I'd go to another bookseller to browse but try to hear me - there were no pub, bar and restaurant alternatives back in the day. Smoking is totally a luxury, not a need so who cares if it's forbidden in public places. I think you've bought into cigarette company propganda that wants to trun this into some sort of human rights issue. If you have a business open to the public, you need to conform to the common good. Or are you against sanitation regulations too?
As one priest said..."I would rather see you smoke in this world than smoke in the next."

(02-12-2011, 07:20 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I've been puffing a bit as of late, after staying off of them for 4 months. And I do confess it as a sin.

No priest has ever focused on it.

But, Father Corapi did make the point that it goes against the 5th Commandment. And as Jayne says, we did not know before that they could kill you.

Why do you ask, Jayne? Thinking of taking up the habit, or quitting.

Fr. Corapi also said that if you don't vote you can consider yourself in serious sin. I don't believe this. Especially if there is no good Catholics to vote for. I like Fr. Corapi, but he is not infallible. Fr. Corapi also calls Pope JPII "The Great"

There is no proof none what so ever which shows second hand smoke causes anything except the wrath of non smokers whose ire have been ginned up by the progressives.. So lets have two kinds of bars and restaurants, smoking and no smoking, and see which survive. Here in Chicago the ordinance is putting many bars out of business. You see drinkers smoke, and smokers drink, the rest visit occasionally, and do not create enough business to keep a bar going.
tim
Reading this thread makes me want to go have a smoke.
tim, I think is evidence of non-smoking waitresses who have contracted lung cancer thru second hand smoke

The "bars going out of business" was a big line used here in Montreal but the doomsday scenario hasnt come to pass cos the anti-smoking legislation affects every bar equally. Folks just smoke outside. If anything I go to restaurants more since there is no more smoking sections in them
(02-13-2011, 03:17 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(02-12-2011, 07:20 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I've been puffing a bit as of late, after staying off of them for 4 months. And I do confess it as a sin.

No priest has ever focused on it.

But, Father Corapi did make the point that it goes against the 5th Commandment. And as Jayne says, we did not know before that they could kill you.

Why do you ask, Jayne? Thinking of taking up the habit, or quitting.

Fr. Corapi also said that if you don't vote you can consider yourself in serious sin. I don't believe this. Especially if there is no good Catholics to vote for. I like Fr. Corapi, but he is not infallible. Fr. Corapi also calls Pope JPII "The Great"

We're getting farther and farther from the original topic, but I have had real problems with voting lately. Keep in mind that until about a year ago, I considered myself an atheist, or at best an agnostic. I had no strong feelings one way or the other about abortion. I was a liberal. I have never voted for anyone in my life who wasn't a Democrat. I voted for Obama.

Now I'm Catholic. The Church forbids me to vote for anyone who is pro-choice, and I willingly submit to that. But I'm still basically a liberal. The people who are pro-life are against just about everything else I believe in, and I can't bring myself to vote for them either. In the most recent election, I did not vote at all for that reason. If the next presidential election is Obama vs. Palin, that's a no-win proposition. I could not in good conscience vote for either of them. So I'm going to have to join Baskerville and vote third-party, even though that amounts to throwing your vote away.

How can it be a serious sin to abstain from voting when none of the candidates are worth voting for?