Pagans, Atheists, Protestants and Catholic Evangelation
Please move this if it isn't in the right spot :)

Just wanted to see how other catholics deal with the issues of being catholic in public. How do you handle the Mormons who come to your door asking if you know Jesus Christ and inviting you to their church only to give you a look when you smile and reply you are a happy practicing catholic? Your coworker Charismatic Christian who attends a Messianic Jewish church when trying to convert you finds out your Catholic gives you a look and replies oh that.... I used to be catholic...that's a dead religion. I respectfully smile and remain quiet to keep the peace. Your Baptist neighbors? Your other relatively new convert Jehovah's Witness who constantly observes you as if to size you up or something and evangelical SDA coworker who friendly debates you and lets it go when he realizes you do know what your talking about? The social worker explaining the grieving process of death in a pagan we return to the Earth from which we came way as your charting at work and have to hold your tongue out of respect? I have taken the approach of not to judge, or even evangelize. All I do is try to practice catholicism and practice some more. (Actually, maybe that is the best form of Evangelizing) Sometimes I hum the Kyrie Eleison at work. I pray for my patients, even my coworkers.
What do you do when people use the lords name in vain often or say the f...ing cross? What do you do when these people trying to convert you 2 min ago are now talking like they are in a strip club in front of a lady? What do you do when your treated a bit more looked down upon because you are catholic? How do you handle all the disrespect and trash talking these people have for catholicism, your very personal truth and faith? How do these people not know their protestant religion stems from catholicism, through the Apostles and Christ?
One thing that helps is to know the faith.  You're likely feeling uncomfortable because these evangelicals have a script (not literally, although they might- but they know what they're talking about.) and you're caught unaguard.  So knowing the faith helps- I struggle with this, I have poor retention and it seems that every time I think I learn something I forget it.  I used to ride the bus all the time and would see mormons and JW's frequently.  Sometimes I'd have a nice theological discussion and I actually left them asking questions and other times I sounded like a complete idiot.  So as far as people trying to convert you, you can use it as an opportunity to talk to them about your faith or just ask questions that will have them questioning it themselves.  there's really no way to avoid feeling a little uncomfortable- at least in my experience. 

As far as dealing with being around people who are blatantly bashing the faith (or covertly by using the Lord's name in vain) I will usually pray when I hear that.  I haven't been around a whole lot of instances where someone is actually attacking the faith head on- like having conversation about "catholicism is X because X, X and X.  So I don't know if its better to keep silent and pray or to let them know you're (not to mention God is) offended or to actually challenge them.  I've more experienced this with people taking the Lord's name in vain and often times to a serious excess.  I mean, its always excessive but I think you know what I mean.

When the lord's name is taken in vain, its best to say the Golden Arrow prayer:

MAY THE MOST HOLY, MOST SACRED, MOST ADORABLE, MOST INCOMPREHENSIBLE AND UNUTTERABLE NAME OF GOD BE ALWAYS PRAISED, BLESSED, LOVED, ADORED AND GLORIFIED, IN HEAVEN, ON EARTH AND UNDER THE EARTH, BY ALL THE CREATURES OF GOD, AND BY THE SACRED HEART OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, IN THE MOST HOLY SACRAMENT OF THE ALTAR. AMEN.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
For JW and Mormons, I would probably fall down laughing at them.  I can't take cults seriously.  For Prots, they are all over the map.  You have to know what they believe.  It is best to study apologetics.  One way to nail 99% of them is to ask if baptism saves you.  They will say no (except maybe a Methodist or an Anglican, but they won't be evangelizing you).  Then quote the following:
Acts 2 37,38 Wrote:Now when they had heard these things, they had compunction in their heart, and said to Peter, and to the rest of the apostles: What shall we do, men and brethren? [38] But Peter said to them: Do penance, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of your sins: and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

1Peter 3, vs 21 Wrote:Whereunto baptism being of the like form, now saveth you also: not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the examination of a good conscience towards God by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

And then say, "I am sorry, but I reject your sect because I am a Bible believing Christian, and you have rejected the Literal Word."  And no matter how they try to squirm and argue, just keep saying, "The Bible say: Be Baptized, because it saves you, remits sins,  and brings the Holy Ghost.  That is the literal Word, and I reject your false religion based on man-made traditions."  And keep repeating it over and over.
Do Mormons what worked for me in the past is.
1 answer the door in rhe buck. They will never come back
2 odder then a beer and some nuts when they r scurrying away. They really won't come back
for jws it also works thogh for moe ons it's more fun
for prods of the usual veriety I d t bher ifthey bother me thy don't  again. Rheblaat time any peod tried to badger me was a mbout a year ago. 3 of them handing oiur chck tracks outside a church. Not my parish but a church nonetheless I approached the. Aggressivly smacked the leaflets our od their hands and said in no uncertain terms I wished to fight then in a challange of faiths
they left fast
Move into a gated community where they aren't allowed to do this.  ;D  Works for us.  :laughing:
Strangely enough...I have never had the experience of someone trying to convert me...even Catholics (before I was Catholic).

I wouldn't engage anyone who tried to evangelize me...just smile and say, "No thanks."  Anyone who tries to get in your face or make overt statements denigrating Catholicism...is just a big ol' jerk...and needs to be told to STHU.  If he won't leave you alone...and it becomes harassment...report him to your boss.
This is sort of backwards to the point of the thread, but I used to work with a guy who was a born-again fundie, but a nice enough guy otherwise. He said he used to get rid of telemarketers by asking them if they had accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior. They would disappear immediately!
(02-13-2011, 01:57 AM)candyapple Wrote: Please move this if it isn't in the right spot :)

Just wanted to see how other catholics deal with the issues of being catholic in public. How do you handle the Mormons who come to your door asking if you know Jesus Christ and inviting you to their church only to give you a look when you smile and reply you are a happy practicing catholic? Your coworker Charismatic Christian who attends a Messianic Jewish church when trying to convert you finds out your Catholic gives you a look and replies oh that.... I used to be catholic...that's a dead religion. I respectfully smile and remain quiet to keep the peace. Your Baptist neighbors? Your other relatively new convert Jehovah's Witness who constantly observes you as if to size you up or something and evangelical SDA coworker who friendly debates you and lets it go when he realizes you do know what your talking about? The social worker explaining the grieving process of death in a pagan we return to the Earth from which we came way as your charting at work and have to hold your tongue out of respect? I have taken the approach of not to judge, or even evangelize. All I do is try to practice catholicism and practice some more. (Actually, maybe that is the best form of Evangelizing) Sometimes I hum the Kyrie Eleison at work. I pray for my patients, even my coworkers.
What do you do when people use the lords name in vain often or say the f...ing cross? What do you do when these people trying to convert you 2 min ago are now talking like they are in a strip club in front of a lady? What do you do when your treated a bit more looked down upon because you are catholic? How do you handle all the disrespect and trash talking these people have for catholicism, your very personal truth and faith? How do these people not know their protestant religion stems from catholicism, through the Apostles and Christ?

If you hear someone take the name of the Lord in vain, immediately cross yourself and say "Sit nomen Dómini benedíctum! Ex hoc nunc, et usque in sæculum! (Blessed be the name of the Lord! From this time forth for evermore!). If there is another traditional Catholic in the room, say the first part, and they may respond with the second part.
Thank you all, I enjoyed reading your responses and had a good laugh at some. I do need to learn apologetics and I'll apply the Latin prayer. On another note, what is strange is when I was a lost soul floating down the stream of relativism no one tried to convert me. Thank God for the grace of Baptism! 
DK Wrote:Aggressivly smacked the leaflets our od their hands and said in no uncertain terms I wished to fight then in a challange of faiths
they left fast

DK, you rock bub.  That is awesome.  Here's the gig, they were out to steal souls and drag them down to hell.  Perhaps you saved a few souls from hell that day.  Your actions are a consolation on your death bed.