Pagans, Atheists, Protestants and Catholic Evangelation
(02-13-2011, 02:54 AM)James02 Wrote: For JW and Mormons, I would probably fall down laughing at them.  I can't take cults seriously.  For Prots, they are all over the map.  You have to know what they believe.  It is best to study apologetics.  One way to nail 99% of them is to ask if baptism saves you.  They will say no (except maybe a Methodist or an Anglican, but they won't be evangelizing you).  Then quote the following:
Acts 2 37,38 Wrote:Now when they had heard these things, they had compunction in their heart, and said to Peter, and to the rest of the apostles: What shall we do, men and brethren? [38] But Peter said to them: Do penance, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of your sins: and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

1Peter 3, vs 21 Wrote:Whereunto baptism being of the like form, now saveth you also: not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the examination of a good conscience towards God by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

And then say, "I am sorry, but I reject your sect because I am a Bible believing Christian, and you have rejected the Literal Word."  And no matter how they try to squirm and argue, just keep saying, "The Bible say: Be Baptized, because it saves you, remits sins,  and brings the Holy Ghost.  That is the literal Word, and I reject your false religion based on man-made traditions."  And keep repeating it over and over.

I love it!  As a convert (during college) who grew up SBC Baptist, I can't help but find many of these conversations hilarious (though they are a pain in the butt when I'm having them...).

This past Thanksgiving I was at a family friend's house and her friend and father-in-law started trying to convert me to Protestantism.  Whenever this happens I pull out two things that kill their argument: the book of Saint James rebutting sola fidei (Abraham was justified by faith AND works, as Saint James says) and I pull out the quote of Christ telling the Apostles (whoevers sins you forgive are forgiven, whoevers sins you retain are retained).  The destroys their concept of salvation.

This past Thanksgiving the man I was arguing with claimed Saint James wasn't really part of the Bible (apparently God gave him the authority to remove books from Scripture) and he claimed the quote about the Apostles forgiving sins was from before Our Lord was crucified and that's the only reason they could forgive sins.  Of course that quote is from the very end of one of the Gospels (Saint John's I believe?) and occurs after the resurrection.  When I pointed out that fact he had to change the subject and, lol.  At that point they both just started talking about how "you really believe what you believe strongly..."

Anywho, I thought it was funny.  It takes relatively little reading to be able to rebut the Protestant heresy, since all you have to do is poke one or two holes in their beliefs and their whole system is made meaningless.  And if they try to fight that fact you just do what James02 said.  ;D