Cardinal Mahony: A Great Bishop?
(02-16-2011, 12:56 AM)Baskerville Wrote:
(02-16-2011, 12:51 AM)Dominus est Wrote: “The Tridentine Mass was meant for those who could not make the transition from Latin to English [or other languages] after the Council. But there is no participation by the people, and I don’t believe that instills the spirit of Christ among us.”
Cardinal Roger Mahony
http://www.ncregister.com/blog/cardinal_...atin_mass/

isn't that anathema territory ?

Probably at least 1/3 of the Bishops of the world agree with him.

I don't doubt it.  Is there a term Schishop ?  :laughing:
lol
The interview in its entirety is revealing: it deconstructs the anticipation of a 'conservative' swing for the Archdiocese.

In my view, this is another example showing that Progressives and Conservatives within the Church are not much different; rather, the former is just a few years ahead of them.  The notion of our need for redemption is lost in the noise of celebration, emotionalism, and sentimentality - as well as a mutual hatred of the Old Rite and past Catholic organized society.

I wouldn't put too much stock in this interview yet.

For one, it's LA Times. And who knows how badly they editted it? What questions did they leave out? What if other questions painted a different view? As it sits now, Gomez looks like Mahony, Mark II. And now if he changes anything, the LA Times gets to criticize him for doing just the opposite of what they printed. 

Second, Gomez isn't behind the wheel yet. There's still time for Rog to throw a monkey wrench into the works - empty the treasury into some project, perhaps?. You never know. Let him be civil for a few more weeks.

Third, it's not polite to criticize publicly. And it's also risky to praise too highly. Remember the grief Trent Lott got for praising Strom Thurmond? Look at the outrage here. Same thing. He's just being polite. 
(02-16-2011, 01:17 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote: He's just being polite. 

Just being polite would have led to much more restraint. He went far beyond the call of duty of just being polite. The interview doesn't bode well for L.A. There's no getting around it.
(02-14-2011, 05:40 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: And though I'm not one to defend Mahony, he probably has some redeeming quality.  What it is, I don't know.  But I'm sure there's something.  God doesn't make junk.

It should be acknowledged that Cardinal Mahony has been very supportive of the Eastern Catholics in his archdiocese; he also has good taste in companion animals. Of course, come Judgment Day, the degree to which either of these undeniable positives tilts the scale against, say, the crushing tonnage of the Taj Mahoney, remains to be seen.
(02-16-2011, 08:20 PM)Marc Wrote: the crushing tonnage of the Taj Mahoney

uggghhhhh.....You just had to remind us of this brutalist travesty, didn't you? Every time I drive by it I want to throw up.
(02-16-2011, 08:24 PM)Jitpring Wrote:
(02-16-2011, 08:20 PM)Marc Wrote: the crushing tonnage of the Taj Mahoney

uggghhhhh.....You just had to remind us of this brutalist travesty, didn't you? Every time I drive by it I want to throw up.

Wait 'til you see what he does with lovely St. Charles Church!
(02-17-2011, 02:36 AM)Zedta Wrote: Wait 'til you see what he does with lovely St. Charles Church!

Which one? St. Charles Borromeo on Moorpark? He has yet more nefarious plans for it? It's already bad enough that the Novus Ordo has completely taken over that glorious church, and that its stellar schola is long gone, replaced by the usual banality of guitars etc.
(02-16-2011, 08:20 PM)Marc Wrote:
(02-14-2011, 05:40 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: And though I'm not one to defend Mahony, he probably has some redeeming quality.  What it is, I don't know.  But I'm sure there's something.  God doesn't make junk.

It should be acknowledged that Cardinal Mahony has been very supportive of the Eastern Catholics in his archdiocese;

That may be so; I know there's even a Coptic Catholic church not too far from me.  Speaking of "Eastern," he's also very supportive of Eastern Orthodox; enough so to let them use the cathedral for their liturgy.

The Tidings Newspaper Wrote:Last Sunday, we were honored to host the Pontifical Divine Liturgy of His Holiness, Karekin II, Catholicos of All Armenians, at our Cathedral.
Source: http://www.the-tidings.com/2005/0610/kar...e_text.htm

No TLM, though.  But, then again, perhaps that's something on the "plus side" that can be said about the Cardinal: he spared the TLM from the Cathedral.