Bishop "encouraged" to retire early after hindering Summorum Pontificum?
I check the blog The Last Papist Standing daily and came across this interesting post today:

Pensacola-Tallahassee Bishop's Retirement:
Not-So-Voluntary
THE HIGH PRICE OF IGNORING SUMMORUM PONTIFICUM

And a quote from the post:

Quote:However, trusted sources very close to the chancery have informed this author that Bishop Ricard's letter of resignation has been accepted, that it in fact was compelled by the Pope,

and

Quote: However, these same sources insist that Ricard (who at 69 years of age is a good five to six years away from the mandatory and typical retirement age) did not wish to resign, and desired to hold the reins of ecclesiastical power for as long as he could; Pope Benedict had demanded his resignation in response to several disturbing matters relating to episcopal maladministration that have come to the Vatican's attention.

To read the entire article go to:  http://lastpapist.blogspot.com/2011/02/p...ishop.html

Sounds like wishful thinking, if we're going to assign Summorum Pontificum as the main reason for the bishop's dismissal. I'll believe it if it was just one of many compounding problems in the diocese. But there are bishops in Italy itself, or so I've heard, who routinely ignore SP.
There must be more to this than just SP.
In fact I would venture a guess that it would never happen without the approval of the key US bishops and frankly they could care less about SP.
Probably more likely to do with such things as immorality or adminstrative failures...
I live in that diocese and I think part of the reason is due to his health.  Last year, he had a stroke, but I don't know how he far along he has recovered since then.  It is possible it is mostly due to that.

As for being opposed to Summorum Pontificum, there is some truth to that.  From what I have heard, some people had to write to Rome to make sure we could get more Latin Masses here in the diocese.