There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest
(02-20-2011, 12:46 PM)justlurking Wrote: Can a Catholic think that Homosexuality is the result of a Brain disorder? I don't mean psychological disorder, I mean brain, a biological defect. As long as you don't justify the behaviour which must nevertheless be resisted if they want to save themselves.

I think it is that for most people.
makes me want to grow a beard again. Why would a man want an easy job? Sounds boring and lazy
(02-20-2011, 03:35 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: makes me want to grow a beard again. Why would a man want an easy job? Sounds boring and lazy

I have a beard and a physically and mentally active job. Plus, I am productive. It is good to know that I am doing something.
(02-20-2011, 03:23 PM)Melkite Wrote: Wait a minute, if effeminate is attachment to luxury, does that mean a man who wants to have a nice house or a nice car or an easy job can't go to heaven?

First we need to be clear. Effeminate means that, but not only that.

Luxury in this sense means avoidance of pain, discomfort, hardship, etc. that needs to be faced.  It goes against the virtue of perseverance.  It can mean a nice car or an easy job or fine clothes, but it doesn't have to.  In the sense you are using it, which is related to the basic meaning, it makes it difficult to go to heaven because it increases worldliness and therefore detracts from the divine.  Christ's whole eye-of-the-needle speech.

Instead of a concrete definition, what is important is the concept.  In the vernacular, condemning the effeminate means "God doesn't like pussies."  We need to man up and stop whining.  Don't run from your crosses, but bear them through to the end.  Do what's right instead of what is easy.  Comfort should not be a primary concern, etc.  Don't scream like a schoolgirl when something goes wrong.

The virtue opposite of effeminancy is perseverance which is annexed to fortitude.

Quote:http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15472a.htm

As temperance and its annexed virtues remove from the will hindrances to rational good arising from sensuous pleasure, so fortitude removes from the will those obstacles arising from the difficulties of doing what reason requires. Hence fortitude, which implies a certain moral strength and courage, is the virtue by which one meets and sustains dangers and difficulties, even death itself, and in never through fear of these deterred from the pursuit of good which reason dictates.

Perseverance, the virtue which disposes to continuance in the accomplishment of good works in spite of the difficulties attendant upon them.  As a moral virtue it is not to be taken precisely for what is designated as final perseverance, that special gift of the predestined by which one is found in the state of grace at the moment of death. It is used here to designate that virtue which disposes one to continuance in any virtuous work whatsoever.

CE article on fortitude:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06147a.htm

It should be clear modern Protestants have twisted the meaning of effeminacy.  Why, I'm not sure.  It's not like sodomitical acts are not condemned in the same sentence.  St. Thomas mentions a gloss about unnatural acts, but then he explains what that gloss means.  Maybe the Prots didn't like the "Romish" interpretation on principle.  But when you read the Fathers, it's clear they mean effeminacy as things that go against perseverance: softness, a like for fine things, etc.
(02-20-2011, 12:46 PM)justlurking Wrote: Can a Catholic think that Homosexuality is the result of a Brain disorder? I don't mean psychological disorder, I mean brain, a biological defect. As long as you don't justify the behaviour which must nevertheless be resisted if they want to save themselves.

I think that's a slippery slope.  If it's a brain disorder, something because of a physical malady, then it would reduce the culpability, to the point that it probably couldn't be a mortal sin for anyone with the brain disorder.  Then the Bible would be wrong for saying homosexuals can't go to heaven, because you don't go to hell for venial sins.
(02-20-2011, 03:35 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: makes me want to grow a beard again. Why would a man want an easy job? Sounds boring and lazy

So you can do whatever you want during your free time.  With my new career, I can potentially make ~$85000 a year only doing 20 hours of work a week.  How awesome would that be to only work 4 hours a day and having the rest of the day to do stuff around the house, read, whatever?!?!?

Or, in my case, have enough money to save up and buy land and build a to-scale, working replica of the Church of the Holy Resurrection!!!!
(02-20-2011, 03:41 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(02-20-2011, 03:23 PM)Melkite Wrote: Wait a minute, if effeminate is attachment to luxury, does that mean a man who wants to have a nice house or a nice car or an easy job can't go to heaven?

First we need to be clear. Effeminate means that, but not only that.

Luxury in this sense means avoidance of pain, discomfort, hardship, etc. that needs to be faced.  It goes against the virtue of perseverance.  It can mean a nice car or an easy job or fine clothes, but it doesn't have to.  In the sense you are using it, which is related to the basic meaning, it makes it difficult to go to heaven because it increases worldliness and therefore detracts from the divine.  Christ's whole eye-of-the-needle speech.

Instead of a concrete definition, what is important is the concept.  In the vernacular, condemning the effeminate means "God doesn't like pussies."  We need to man up and stop whining.  Don't run from your crosses, but bear them through to the end.  Do what's right instead of what is easy.  Comfort should not be a primary concern, etc.  Don't scream like a schoolgirl when something goes wrong.

The virtue opposite of effeminancy is perseverance which is annexed to fortitude.

Quote:http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15472a.htm

As temperance and its annexed virtues remove from the will hindrances to rational good arising from sensuous pleasure, so fortitude removes from the will those obstacles arising from the difficulties of doing what reason requires. Hence fortitude, which implies a certain moral strength and courage, is the virtue by which one meets and sustains dangers and difficulties, even death itself, and in never through fear of these deterred from the pursuit of good which reason dictates.

Perseverance, the virtue which disposes to continuance in the accomplishment of good works in spite of the difficulties attendant upon them.  As a moral virtue it is not to be taken precisely for what is designated as final perseverance, that special gift of the predestined by which one is found in the state of grace at the moment of death. It is used here to designate that virtue which disposes one to continuance in any virtuous work whatsoever.

CE article on fortitude:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06147a.htm

It should be clear modern Protestants have twisted the meaning of effeminacy.  Why, I'm not sure.  It's not like sodomitical acts are not condemned in the same sentence.  St. Thomas mentions a gloss about unnatural acts, but then he explains what that gloss means.  Maybe the Prots didn't like the "Romish" interpretation on principle.  But when you read the Fathers, it's clear they mean effeminacy as things that go against perseverance: softness, a like for fine things, etc.

Ok, so having all those nice things, as long as you're not putting them above God, and you're not doing or having them as an escape from one's cross or to avoid dealing with tribulation, isn't what is being condemned there by effeminacy?  Good to know :)
(02-20-2011, 04:10 PM)Melkite Wrote: So you can do whatever you want during your free time.  With my new career, I can potentially make ~$85000 a year only doing 20 hours of work a week.  How awesome would that be to only work 4 hours a day and having the rest of the day to do stuff around the house, read, whatever?!?!?

And that is the danger. Free time to do whatever one wants with minimal production.
if i had to choose between working 20 hrs for $85K so I could do things around the house I'd rather work 35 hrs for 150K and have 12 kids.
(02-20-2011, 04:22 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: if i had to choose between working 20 hrs for $85K so I could do things around the house I'd rather work 35 hrs for 150K and have 12 kids.

Massage therapists can't do that.  If we worked 35 hours a week every week, we'd break our bodies in 5 years and have to find another career.  I'm never getting married or having kids though, so $85K is more than enough for me.