There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest
(02-18-2011, 11:40 PM)Catholic Johnny Wrote: I submit to the teaching of the Church.  However, it must be admitted that no such anthropological category as the "homosexual person" existed before the Pontificate of John Paul II.  In my opinion, it is an antbiblical novelty that is fraught with every kind of danger and cannot be reconciled with previous Catholic teaching.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, if anything.  Originally, homosexuality was seen as a psychopathology and appeared in the DSM.  Because of homosexual advocacy, it was removed from the DSM.

So, let's go back to pre JP2 and even before V2 and for the sake of argument say that it is a psychopathology.  In that case, saying the "homosexual person" is not an anthropological category any more than the "manic depressive person" or the "narcissistic person" or the "chronically morose person", is it?

Part of the problem, I think, is you're falling for the propaganda of those who advocate a "homosexual lifestyle".  It is one thing to identify one's self correctly as a homosexual in that they experience same-sex attraction.  It is something altogether different to identify one's self as a homosexual as a way of living.  Not everyone who is a homosexual - who experiences same-sex attraction - is an advocate of the "homosexual lifestyle".

It is the "lifestyle" that needs to be left behind to avoid sin.  Unnatural acts, improper relationships, etc.  Assuming it is a psychopathology, one cannot leave behind homosexuality as same-sex attraction any more than someone who suffers manic depression can leave that behind. 

Really, what you are saying they have to leave behind is a form of concupiscence.  A disordered form, sure, but all of us who have any kind of libido suffer from concupiscence.  None of us can just leave it behind and identify as non-concupiscent.  What we do is struggle against it, if we fail we go to Confession.  We are still Christians even though we have that struggle, and even though we acknowledge that fault by using some categorizing term.

I think you're doing a grave disservice to the good of souls by implying that people aren't "good enough" to be called Christian even if they are doing the right thing by bearing their Cross and living chastely. A proper understanding and respect of fighting the good fight will also enable those who suffer this Cross realize and accept that the priesthood isn't for them (as it isn't for many of us for different reasons).  Someone who struggles and perseveres against sinful inclinations and succeeds attains a higher degree of sanctity than those of us who struggle and constantly fail.  God bless them, and I hope they pray for me because I can use the help from those more sanctified than myself.  And I'll pray and root for anyone that's fighting the good fight, too, no matter what their Cross is.

Messages In This Thread
Re: There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest - by Historian - 02-19-2011, 01:35 AM