There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest
(02-22-2011, 03:13 PM)James02 Wrote:
Quote:  How sorry for your sin to GOD have you been if after going to Confession and making a firm Act of Amendment of life , confessing your Sins to the Priest , doing the penance , you stop off at the corner bar for a beer or twelve the next night?

Don't know.  You could be truly sorry, and have a firm purpose of amendment, then fall.  If you went to the confessional soley because of the fear of hell, it is enough to be valid. 
But how about if he makes it 2 months, and then falls?  What then?  Actually, why pick an arbitrary date?  Suppose he slips up at ANY future point.  Are you claiming his confession was invalid?

And you didn't answer the question.  Is this person required to avoid bars?  Is he required to avoid drinking again?  I say yes, because he is an alcoholic.    Now, to be clear, if he falls, he is responsible for that.  He has the choice to avoid these near occasions of sin.  God does not ask the impossible.  But he is free to choose the evil.

I will also grant that over a long period of time, it is possible that a near occasion of sin ceases to become a near occasion of sin, because pleasure centers in the brain go away after a period on non-use. 

James02,
You have fallen into the trap presented earlier in this thread of using medical and not Catholic theological models.  This allows for Modernist exploitation, and I am sure you have done this quite innocently as it is in the air we breathe today.  "Alcoholic" is not a Catholic theological term.  It is a medical term based on medical theories that exclude the properties of the new birth in Christ (2 Cor. 5:17) and the supernatural properties of conversion (Ephesians 4:21-24).  The Magisterium does not teach that a person who is "alcholic' will always be an alcoholic.  St. Paul teaches very clearly in 1 Cor. 6:9-11 that "such were some of you, but you are washed, you are sanctified, you are justified in Christ and by the Spirit of God."  This passage includes both sodomites and drunkards. 

The world says "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic" and the Church teaches "if any man is in Christ, [he is] a new creation."  (2 Cor. 5:17)  St. Paul teaches we are to put off the old man and put on the new (Ephesians 4:21-24).   In Romans 12:1-2, St. Paul teaches us to be wary of the world's way of thinking about these things:

I BESEECH you therefore, brethren, by the mercy of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing unto God, your reasonable service.  And be not conformed to this world; but be reformed in the newness of your mind, that you may prove what is the good, and the acceptable, and the perfect will of God.

This agrees with the properties of the new birth and conversion:

If so be that you have heard him, and have been taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus:  To put off, according to former conversation, the old man, who is corrupted according to the desire of error.  And be renewed in the spirit of your mind:  And put on the new man, who according to God is created in justice and holiness of truth.  (Ephesians 4:21-24).   

The difference here is in identity.  Am I a new creation in Christ?  Or am I a homosexual person?  You can't be both, regardless of the intensity of temptation.  Without the renewing of the mind, your thinking will be hopelessly dominated by the logic of this world, and you will end up rejecting grace.  To accept what some psychiatry study teaches above the word of God is the very definition of Modernism (Pascendi). 

Beware lest any man cheat you by philosophy, and vain deceit; according to the tradition of men, according to the elements of the world, and not according to Christ:  For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead corporeally;  And you are filled in him, who is the head of all principality and power...  Colossioans 2:8-10

The end of the matter is this: no such category of personage as the "homosexual person" exists in Tradition.   The pseudo-scientific term itself did not come to exist in scientific journals until the late 19th century (Freudianism).  It is cruel to tell someone struggling with this awful temptation that that is "what they are."  This deprives them of the hope of full conversion, complete healing, and the inner freedom that the Holy Spirit brings to believing hearts.

Messages In This Thread
Re: There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest - by Catholic Johnny - 02-23-2011, 02:37 AM