There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest
(02-23-2011, 03:06 AM)Catholic Johnny Wrote:
(02-22-2011, 03:18 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(02-22-2011, 08:03 AM)Catholic Johnny Wrote: From Roman Catholic Tradition:
Please don't spam the discussion with random quotes.  Either expound upon them or insert them contextually.   When you do this, again, I miss your point.  Is your point sodomy is a mortal sin?  Well, great, but I don't think anyone is denying that.

YOU demanded that I provide evidences from Tradition, Quis.  I was already on very solid footing with the argument from the Bible (Sacred Scripture is the Soul of Theology) but your aspersion that I was milking "Protestant" resources, however unfairly, required an answer.  I would be happy to provide comment and analysis on these quotes from the Popes, Doctors and Fathers, but I could not possible improve upon them.  The common denominator?  Nearly all these witnesses defined sodomy as the "sin against nature."  To counsel a "homosexual person" that they must accept that their identity is based on their proclivity towards the sin against nature cannot possibly be a Catholic position. 

I have no problem that you cited Catholic sources.  I had no idea what you were getting at because there was a post of citations with no explanation.  Now I have one: "Nearly all these witnesses defined sodomy as the "sin against nature."  To counsel a "homosexual person" that they must accept that their identity is based on their proclivity towards the sin against nature cannot possibly be a Catholic position. "

To which I will obviously disagree.  No one is saying that a homosexual person has to accept his identity.  If someone can switch teams back, great.  What I am saying, to only speak for myself, is that while they still suffer from same sex attraction, they must accept the reality of their proclivity.  They must live a chaste life, not become priests, etc.

You keep referring to "homosexual" as an identity which means you are actually buying into the anthropological re-defining of the word.  "Homosexual" is no more an identity than over-libidinous or xenophobic is.  Sure, some people want to make it that way, but it isn't.

That's what's kind of oxymoronic with your argument.  I said before you had a lot of contradiction, and here's a huge one:

Regardless of what some Modernists say, and even regardless of what the CCC says or implies, Catholic teaching is that "homosexual" is not an identity.  It is theologically a pre-disposition to certain disordered and unnatural sins.  But to undo the homosexual activists' dirty work, you're buying into the "identity" notion and trying to define the identity of "homosexual" as a sin against nature rather than the act being a sin against nature.  In other words, you've come to identify people by the act whether you realize it or not simply because you're saying that such an identity is sinful.

There is no "identity", which is why St. Paul didn't - and couldn't - condemn "homosexuals" as an identity.  He condemned people who commit unnatural acts.

Messages In This Thread
Re: There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest - by Historian - 02-23-2011, 05:05 AM