There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest
Hey Vox,
I wasn't looking for this, but my wife was reading to me out of a guidebook to Canon Law and lo and behold look what popped up:

Quote:Can.  1041 The following are irregular for receiving orders:

1/ a person who labors under some form of amentia or other psychic illness due to which, after experts have been consulted, he is judged unqualified to fulfill the ministry properly;

Keep in mind, this is the 1983 Canon Law, which revisies the 1917 Law but does not abrogate the previous Canon Law unless specifically enumerated.

Now, this also is material to our discussion:

Quote:Prior to the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) 1973 convention, several psychiatrists attempted to organize opposition to the efforts of homosexuals to remove homosexual behavior from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Of Mental Disorders). Organizing this effort were Drs. Irving Bieber and Charles Socarides who formed the Ad Hoc Committee Against the Deletion of Homosexuality from DSM-II.  The DSM-II listed homosexuality as an abnormal behavior under section "302. Sexual Deviations." It was the first deviation listed. http://www.traditionalvalues.org/urban/eleven.php

Seems that there was a change in the social sciences (albeit politically and not scientifically motivated) that has nothing to do with the tradition of the Church.  Talk about Vatican II time bombs.  Look at this:

Quote:Dr. Charles Socarides has set the record straight on how homosexuals inside and outside of the APA forced this organization to remove homosexuality as a mental disorder. This was done without any valid scientific evidence to prove that homosexuality is not a disordered behavior.

Dr. Socarides, writing in Sexual Politics and Scientific Logic: The Issue of Homosexuality writes: "To declare a condition a 'non-condition,' a group of practitioners had removed it from our list of serious psychosexual disorders. The action was all the more remarkable when one considers that it involved an out-of-hand and peremptory disregard and dismissal not only of hundreds of psychiatric and psychoanalytic research papers and reports, but also a number of other serious studies by groups of psychiatrists, psychologists, and educators over the past seventy years…"

Socarides continued: "For the next 18 years, the APA decision served as a Trojan horse, opening the gates to widespread psychological and social change in sexual customs and mores. The decision was to be used on numerous occasions for numerous purposes with the goal of normalizing homosexuality and elevating it to an esteemed status.

"To some American psychiatrists, this action remains a chilling reminder that if scientific principles are not fought for, they can be lost-a disillusioning warning that unless we make no exceptions to science, we are subject to the snares of political factionalism and the propagation of untruths to an unsuspecting and uninformed public, to the rest of the medical profession, and to the behavioral sciences." Dr. Socarides' report is available from the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality: www.narth.com.

So, let's get this straight (no pun intended).  Canon Law stipulates that someone with a psychic illness cannot receive orders.  Until 1973 the DSM unequivocally called homosexual orientation a deviation and an abnormal behavior in its catalog of mental disorders.  The 1975 SACRED CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH PERSONA HUMANA DECLARATION ON CERTAIN QUESTIONS
CONCERNING SEXUAL ETHICS calls them "homosexuals" and the 1986 CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH LETTER TO THE BISHOPS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ON THE PASTORAL CARE OF HOMOSEXUAL PERSONS calls them homosexual persons.  This second document states, "Christians who are homosexual are called, as all of us are, to a chaste life."  Which is of course is the source of the 1992 CCC's 2357-2359 explanation.

So!  What does this mean? It appears to mean that the Catholic doctrinal position was modified to reflect the modifications in the DSM.  Now, this is problematic on many levels, but I shall confine myself to its implications for Canon 1041.  Sodomitical priests ordained prior to 1973 had/have a mental disorder disqualifying them for orders.  But sodomitical priests ordained after 1973 are homosexual persons who have no such malady.  In fact, the CCC and the CDF documents above state that they are Christians called to chastity (again, we were not able to define what that meant specifically for homosexual persons).  This of course sets the table for "chaste homosexual men" to lawfully submit themselves for orders.  We all know the deal - this is a Trojan Horse to smuggle sodomites into the sacred brotherhood of Catholic clergy - at least that is the end result.

Now *ahem* I believe that somebody's got some 'splainin' to do around here.   :hmmm:

Thank GOD ALMIGHTY for Pope Benedict's 2005 Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders promulgated through the CONGREGATION FOR CATHOLIC EDUCATION.   It has no teeth, but at least it says a lot of the right things.

Now Vox, excuse me, I have to go and take my unicorn for a walk...   ;D

Messages In This Thread
Re: There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest - by Catholic Johnny - 02-27-2011, 12:30 AM