There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest
Quote:I object to their use at all.  I am not DEFINED by my sexuality.  And no one is defined by an abomination.  My question would be - why the need at all to use terms such as these in a Catholic context?

What are you defined by?  Your race?  Your humanity?  Your religion?  As a child of God?  This sounds like some serious Rand-esque proposition- the denial of terms and colloquials simply because they don't make up 100% of the pie.

I mean, I agree we should not be <i>defined</i> by our sexuality.  Or our race.  There are many things we should not be defined by.  But does that mean we are not  X? 

If only for the sake of clarification and communication in discourse we should use these terms.  Most social and political issues revolve around X group not being treated fairly.  How do we then approach that subject if we can't call "X"  X?

I guess I'm not seeing how anyone is really being defined by anything here.  Unless when you say define you mean "referring to as" or "referring to oneself as."  But referring to someone as something isn't defining them.  Do you object to the term sodomite?  Adulterer?  Or to put it more plainly, do you object to the term "sinner?" 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

Messages In This Thread
Re: There is No Such Thing as a Homosexual Catholic Priest - by Mithrandylan - 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM