Petition for the integrity of Summorum Pontificum
(02-18-2011, 07:12 PM)Joshua Wrote: Quis, this is being promoted by both Rorate Caeli and the New Liturgical Movement ... outlets not exactly known for seedy ploys or wild goose chases. It is nothing more than an online petition urging our Holy Father to ensure that his great Motu Proprio is not subverted by those working against his efforts.

... so, what's the problem here?

The problem is though it is promoted by them, they aren't claiming sponsorship of it.  If they claimed they were sponsoring it, that would be different.  For all I know they heard about it and blogged about it.  Or, they may know who is sponsoring it, but I'm sorry, I have to do my own due diligence before I promote something (and sign it myself) or ask Vox to.

No problem that you post it here, though.  If people want to sign it, that's up to their discretion, of course.
(02-18-2011, 07:17 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(02-18-2011, 07:12 PM)Joshua Wrote: Quis, this is being promoted by both Rorate Caeli and the New Liturgical Movement ... outlets not exactly known for seedy ploys or wild goose chases. It is nothing more than an online petition urging our Holy Father to ensure that his great Motu Proprio is not subverted by those working against his efforts.

... so, what's the problem here?

The problem is though it is promoted by them, they aren't claiming sponsorship of it.  If they claimed they were sponsoring it, that would be different.  For all I know they heard about it and blogged about it.  Or, they may know who is sponsoring it, but I'm sorry, I have to do my own due diligence before I promote something (and sign it myself) or ask Vox to.

No problem that you post it here, though.  If people want to sign it, that's up to their discretion, of course.

I understand, Quis. Regardless, I really can see no consequences to having this promoted on FE officially. If Rorate and NLM see no reason to believe that they'd get egg on their face via this petition, I don't see why you should either.  :shrug:
(02-18-2011, 07:26 PM)Joshua Wrote: I understand, Quis. Regardless, I really can see no consequences to having this promoted on FE officially. If Rorate and NLM see no reason to believe that they'd get egg on their face via this petition, I don't see why you should either.  :shrug:

I understand, but if I put my name (or the Fish Eaters name) on something, I want my name to mean I stand behind it; I want my name and my word count for something.

I can't stand behind something if I don't know about it.  Not that it is likely in this particular case, but if crap blows up and my name is attached, I want to be willing to face whatever fallout there is without asking myself "Why didn't I check up on this?"  In life I've seen lots of stuff promoted by completely reputable sources that later turns out to be problematic solely because they didn't do due diligence to find out who or what was behind it.

In a nutshell, the whole thing is an unknown quantity: who is behind the petition, and if the petition is even necessary.  I'm willing to ignore the second but the first is a personal problem for me.  Why not just say "This petition is sponsored by the following blogs/people/organizations"?

If I started a petition to the Pope, I'd put Fish Eaters right on the top so 1) B16 of all people knew who was behind it (that only seems like a courtesy), and, 2) the people signing it knew who was behind it and who they were associating their name with.  I'd sign QuisUtDeus (or my real name) like John Hancock.  I mean, that's kind of the respect owed to a superior, isn't it?  That you stand up and take ownership of your ask?

It seems odd to me a group would start a petition to the Pope and not say who they are at least for his sake.  Even if they were fake but "known" names.

Really, I don't think there is anything nefarious here at all.  It just seems, well, careless and unnecessarily covert.  It's not the way I would do things, personally.  :shrug: