Agony in Albany continues with impunity: church becomes frat house
More than once I have considered buying one of these smaller,old Church's up for sale with a view to converting it to a family home but maintaining a chapel with a view to hosting TLMs.What does everyone think of such a notion?
(02-21-2011, 04:39 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: More than once I have considered buying one of these smaller,old Church's up for sale with a view to converting it to a family home but maintaining a chapel with a view to hosting TLMs.What does everyone think of such a notion?

That's a great idea. If I had an unlimited supply of money I would buy up some of these Church's and sell them at discounts to the SSPX.

(02-21-2011, 05:31 PM)Petertherock Wrote: That's a great idea. If I had an unlimited supply of money I would buy up some of these Church's and sell them at discounts to the SSPX.

With an unlimited supply of money, I'd break down a lot of the nice abandoned churches in Europe, brick by brick, and rebuild them in America for communities that would actually use them. Just like how Xanatos moved Wyvern Castle from Scotland to the top of his skyscraper in New York City, in Gargoyles.
(02-21-2011, 05:34 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(02-21-2011, 05:31 PM)Petertherock Wrote: That's a great idea. If I had an unlimited supply of money I would buy up some of these Church's and sell them at discounts to the SSPX.

With an unlimited supply of money, I'd break down a lot of the nice abandoned churches in Europe, brick by brick, and rebuild them in America for communities that would actually use them. Just like how Xanatos moved Wyvern Castle from Scotland to the top of his skyscraper in New York City, in Gargoyles.

You get one internets for that Gargoyles reference.  :)

BTW, your a Siena student you say, so what the heck is going on with them Saints these days?
[/quote]

Hahaha. Well...I think it is a combination of a shear decrease in talent and a lack of confidence. I was very surprised considering most of the players on the team have been on it during our amazing run we have had the past 3 seasons. I also had high hopes because the coach was an assistant under McCaffery and not only knew the players, but he was an assistant for the Villanova squad that won the National Championship in 1985. It doesn't help that Fairfield has only gotten better and even teams like Iona have improved tremendously. That being said, the fact that we lost to a squad like UAlbany has caused much embarrassment here in Loudonville. LOL

(02-21-2011, 04:39 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: More than once I have considered buying one of these smaller,old Church's up for sale with a view to converting it to a family home but maintaining a chapel with a view to hosting TLMs.What does everyone think of such a notion?
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but with that notion all of the sudden I have this vision of Mel Gibson in my head.......... :sneaky:
(02-21-2011, 09:05 PM)HammerOfHeretics Wrote: BTW, your a Siena student you say, so what the heck is going on with them Saints these days?

Hahaha. Well...I think it is a combination of a shear decrease in talent and a lack of confidence. I was very surprised considering most of the players on the team have been on it during our amazing run we have had the past 3 seasons. I also had high hopes because the coach was an assistant under McCaffery and not only knew the players, but he was an assistant for the Villanova squad that won the National Championship in 1985. It doesn't help that Fairfield has only gotten better and even teams like Iona have improved tremendously. That being said, the fact that we lost to a squad like UAlbany has caused much embarrassment here in Loudonville. LOL

[/quote] Ah, yea, I knew something was up, that program is one of the best for small schools in the country. You can't be from this area and never not know what's going on with siena basketball, I used to watch them guys when they had some real powerhouses going back a few years, but you're right those last three were some of the best ever. The problem is that it's such a small school doing big things that everyone expects that from them every year and when they get a great coach you know sooner or later one of the big guns are going to lure them away with the big bucks, that's just the way it is. But Albany is damn lucky to have a program like that in the area, siena has put albany on the map nationally more than a few times.

Also, I am curious, how are those Franciscans, they seem pretty liberal, I went to an open house there with my daughter for school and they had some kind of "gay club" there handing out pamphlets from their little rainbow booth, that set me off right there. the homo agenda seems to be everywhere on these campuses, even "catholic" ones these days, it's really disheartening, even though you're going to get a quality education at that school, they seem to be right on cue with the acceptance of the gay lifestyle like the rest of the secular campuses, maybe I'm wrong, I hope so.
(02-21-2011, 09:11 PM)alaric Wrote:
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but with that notion all of the sudden I have this vision of Mel Gibson in my head.......... :sneaky:

You mean St Mel!?
Hmmm...maybe I could lure me a volatile Russian lady friend into  "my"  chapel......*muses*

Also, I am curious, how are those Franciscans, they seem pretty liberal, I went to an open house there with my daughter for school and they had some kind of "gay club" there handing out pamphlets from their little rainbow booth, that set me off right there. the homo agenda seems to be everywhere on these campuses, even "catholic" ones these days, it's really disheartening, even though you're going to get a quality education at that school, they seem to be right on cue with the acceptance of the gay lifestyle like the rest of the secular campuses, maybe I'm wrong, I hope so.
[/quote]

I admire the Franciscans at Siena. There certainly are some that are more liberal then others, but I have never been told anything that has been un-orthodox. In fact, the theology classes I have taken have been solidly orthodox. With regards to the homosexual acceptance on campus, they do allow for there to be a club that is self-identified as a LGBT club, however, it is not "embraced" on campus a homosexual lifestyle. The Friars and the board of trustees I suppose, try to incorporate the Catholic identity of the school as best they can. A friar lives in every dorm, Mass is said in the chapel everyday, twice on Sundays and in two dorms. There is also confession every Friday and there had been Eucharistic Adoration every Friday as well, but because of a lack of participation, the chaplain told me that it will start back up again during Lent. There is also a weekly rosary group and a Catholic Faith-sharing group that meets every week. The Chapel also hosts stations of the cross on occasion and whenever I can, I try to get over to the friary to pray the Office with them.  There are also many Catholic, religious classes you are offered to take. In fact, in every room of Siena College, and building there are San Damiano Crosses, several statues of St. Francis and St. Clare and every Friar wears his habit when teaching and such around campus. I believe they do the best they can with what they have. Remember, Siena, although it identifies itself as a Catholic, Franciscan school, technically isn't in the strictest sense of the word. There is some legal things that went on in the 70's that altered that a bit, a friar tried to explain it to me once. That being said, the Friars are a real presence on campus and I never met one I did not like.