Latin NO vs TLM
There is no last gosple in the no just a passage or prayer given over the people.

and the altar servers have a much more important role in the tlm much more integrated into assisting the priest at the altar.
(02-22-2011, 05:56 AM)churchesoffortwayne Wrote: There is no last gosple in the no just a passage or prayer given over the people.

True 'dat.

Quote:and the altar servers have a much more important role in the tlm much more integrated into assisting the priest at the altar.

This is only true in the low or sung Mass, because they're picking up the slack left by the absence of deacon and subdeacon. In solemn Mass, which is the normative form of the 1962 Missal, the acolytes actually have less to do than in a "proper" Novus Ordo Mass. This is because most of the functions we associate with altar servers actually belongs to the deacon and subdeacon. Reciting the prayers at the foot of the altar, moving the Missal, lifting the priest's vestments, even handling the cruets are all done by deacon and subdeacon (or sometimes the master of ceremonies, if there's one). All that's left for the acolytes to do, really, is carry the candles. Even the processional cross is considered optional. I think the only time the acolytes interact directly with the celebrant is when they help him wash his hands at the end of the Offertory rite.

But the main role of the acolyte is to minister to the deacon and subdeacon, and manage the credence table.

:edited to add: I believe this is important to mention because the sheer abundance of low and sung Mass has overinflated the importance of the acolyte (really, the layman or boy dressing as an acolyte, which is only supposed to be a substitute for a clerical role) while deflating the importance of the priest's two immediate lower ministers. I firmly believe the lack of vocations to the diaconate and subdiaconate needs to be examined somehow. Their absence in the life of the Church on the parish level is a prime cause of it.