Catholic Therapists
A useful resource with a directory of therapists by location: www.catholictherapists.com
:)
whaddaya mean? No one around here needs therapy! * cough * cough * :)

I searched for a friend of mine in Toronto, initials D.K., but only Canadian therapist they have is in Calgary. I guess it just wasn't to be! ;)
DK has a whole team of therapists:  Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, and Chester Fields.
LOL. I do remember in my childhood that my grandmother would refer to our sofa as a chesterfield
That's odd.  All the ones in KS are in Wichita, gang capital of the state.  Guess I'll stick with JD and motorcycles. :)
(02-21-2011, 11:25 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: LOL. I do remember in my childhood that my grandmother would refer to our sofa as a chesterfield

Chesterfield is the name of a style of furniture, also a double-breasted coat style, probably applied to more than that, due to Lord Chesterfield's influence.

So your sofa might have been a Chesterfield style sofa, or your grandmother might have been joking about people smoking on the sofa.  Not knowing your sofa or your grandmother, I can't say.  ;D  I'm sure you can find a picture of a Chesterfield sofa online.

(02-22-2011, 10:54 AM)Revixit Wrote:
(02-21-2011, 11:25 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: LOL. I do remember in my childhood that my grandmother would refer to our sofa as a chesterfield

Chesterfield is the name of a style of furniture, also a double-breasted coat style, probably applied to more than that, due to Lord Chesterfield's influence.

So your sofa might have been a Chesterfield style sofa, or your grandmother might have been joking about people smoking on the sofa.  Not knowing your sofa or your grandmother, I can't say.  ;D  I'm sure you can find a picture of a Chesterfield sofa online.

LOL  :laughing:
(02-21-2011, 10:41 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: whaddaya mean? No one around here needs therapy! * cough * cough * :)

I searched for a friend of mine in Toronto, initials D.K., but only Canadian therapist they have is in Calgary. I guess it just wasn't to be! ;)

Tell your friend to get on there! A therapist I know has been booked almost solid since they started doing Catholic-focused therapy.
hey Ciarrai - DK is another forum member here, I was trying to tease him :) but seriously I would be interested in resources for myself in Montreal. I did look into spiritual direction, but the catholic centre i checked wasnt very, well, catholic after all :) :)
(02-22-2011, 10:09 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: hey Ciarrai - DK is another forum member here, I was trying to tease him :) but seriously I would be interested in resources for myself in Montreal. I did look into spiritual direction, but the catholic centre i checked wasnt very, well, catholic after all :) :)

Ah, sorry, I didn't catch the joke :) I love Montreal, it's a great city! Seems like word of mouth is your best bet, there's got to be someone around, right?

I posted this because I've had quite a few conversations lately with Catholic friends and acquaintances who have been wanting to talk to a therapist but aren't sure that the person would "get" them, share their worldview / spirituality, etc etc. Being able to say, "here's a Catholic therapist" has relieved their anxiety a lot. A Jewish or secular therapist is better than nothing I suppose, but a Catholic therapist can help in ways another couldn't. I had my own experience with this.

Last summer I was driving on the highway and saw a crumpled body on the side of the road. As a healthcare worker I am a first responder and as a Catholic and general human being I always stop and make sure everyone is ok. Long story short this young woman had run onto the highway in front of a truck. I had my trauma kit but there was so little I could do. Bystanders were not much help to me but another medical person stopped & together we got a faint pulse and agonal respirations. When we logrolled her, I was in charge of the head... I'm not gonna go into it anymore but it was really, really bad. At any rate she died, basically in my arms. For weeks afterward I was crying and crying and crying, beating myself up, why didn't I help her more, what equipment I should have had in my trunk, what procedures I should have known and memorized to give her a better chance, I should have thought more clearly, a good nurse would have saved her, I failed, I failed her. My mom found a therapist advertising on the back of our church bulletin and made an appointment for me. In one session this wonderful woman set me free of this terrible time I was having, straightened out my thoughts, and helped me cope. Because we share our wonderful Faith, she was able to tell me, God put you there not to save her life but to save her soul, which is so much more important. After seeing the therapist I could finally pray for this poor woman. She is now one of my frequent intentions, and I feel so much better knowing that there is something I can still do for her.

I really feel that seeing a practicing, devout Catholic therapist was key to me. We all deal with different situations, some acute and dramatic and some long-term, and you don't have to be a nut to benefit from a therapist's help. I guess what I am saying is, don't be afraid to reach out, and I hope this site is useful to someone :)