Leave them in their ignorance so that they may save their souls?
Thank you both for your answers.  This was in regards to a conversation I was having with someone (not of the Faith) stating that since they weren't Catholic they wouldn't be judged under Catholic rules by God.  Therefore not culpable for an abortion because it was "right for them at the time."  Thanks again.  :)
Oh, to clarify based on what she said....

Abortion is murder, and murder violates the 10 Commandments which everyone is responsible for following, Catholic or not - it's the Natural Law.  So, yeah, she's most likely in very grave spiritual trouble especially if she knows that the Church preaches against it, calls it murder, and she has willfully done it.

I'm not a priest or moral theologian, but in her particular case, I would guess it probably is a mortal sin.

ETA: Willful ignorance is not a defense.  It has to be honest ignorance and the less invincible, the less of a "defense".
(03-05-2011, 07:36 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Oh, to clarify based on what she said....

Abortion is murder, and murder violates the 10 Commandments which everyone is responsible for following, Catholic or not - it's the Natural Law.  So, yeah, she's most likely in very grave spiritual trouble especially if she knows that the Church preaches against it, calls it murder, and she has willfully done it.

I'm not a priest or moral theologian, but in her particular case, I would guess it probably is a mortal sin.

ETA: Willful ignorance is not a defense.  It has to be honest ignorance and the less invincible, the less of a "defense".

Thank you for the clarification.  Yeah, she believes she just sent the blob of tissue back to "Mother Earth."  ::)
Again here, I agree with Quis. In her case it would probably be a mortal sin because of what I said about the natural law. Otherwise so many women (not all, but many) who abort their babies (regardless of their religion or lack of it) wouldn't feel so much guilt and remorse later. And experience shows that they do.

Isaiah 49: 15 Wrote:Can a woman forget her infant, so as not to have pity on the son of her womb? and if she should forget, yet will not I forget thee.

In other words, even if the impossible or unnatural should happen....

But in my post I was saying that one's level of culpability could be lessened if the full consent of the will was in question. Some people are not able to exercise full consent when under pressure. On the other hand, it is common for some to have multiple abortions, it's like birth control, they think nothing of it. People are also responsible for allowing their consciences to become malformed, or numb until dead.
I'm glad to know I was on the right train of though.  I appreciate your input.  :)  It was a very jarring conversation to say the least.