Ugly Church, Ugly Liturgy: Just endure it?
Christ was crowned with thorns, but why should I be yet another thorn in the crown?

The author of this article is engaging in a psychological defense mechanism:  rationalization.

:owl:
(02-22-2011, 07:47 PM)Christopher Wrote: “Christ is here. And if he can stand it, then so can I.”  He has to stand it due to the prolonged "standing it" of the faithful who keep showing up. Support the TLM and it will grow. Support the NO and it will continue to stick around, like a lingering cough.

:clap:
(02-22-2011, 08:32 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: The author of this article is engaging in a psychological defense mechanism:  rationalization.

Exactly the NO'ers know they are on the losing side even the neocons can see this when they go to Mass and the Church is half empty and the only people there are old enough to have shook hands with King David, while the TLM has young people and huge families. The writing is on the wall and its a big FU to the NO.
baskerville, you are on a roll man! On fire! LOL

In all seriousness though, I switched from a "reverent" NO to a TLM with my 6 yr old this January. Didnt know he would take it.

We went to low mass on Saturday and for significant amounts of time he was transfixed on the goings-on at the altar. Super well-behaved. I'd even say he fidgets less at the TLM than he did at the NO. It seems to truly be more interesting for him.

The kid's missals are better. We have the Angelus and TAN ones and he loves them. The Canadian NO missal is so cheeseball it's embarassing, has a woman in a short skirt and no mantilla striking her breast during the (often shortened NO confiteor).

The consecration is so much more awesome at the TLM too, elevation and all, with all-male altar boys dressed properly. NO can't hold a candle to it.
i converted in an NO basilica and from the get-go I would wince at the exchange of the peace (which I found would always break the flow of devotion towards God), the cheestacular and unbelievably vague bidding prayers (it would be funny if a rogue lector inserted something crazy in there sometime...), the bludgeoned confiteor, EMHC's, etc, etc. TLM aint got none of these irritants. The original be the best
(02-22-2011, 11:09 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: baskerville, you are on a roll man! On fire! LOL

In all seriousness though, I switched from a "reverent" NO to a TLM with my 6 yr old this January. Didnt know he would take it.

We went to low mass on Saturday and for significant amounts of time he was transfixed on the goings-on at the altar. Super well-behaved. I'd even say he fidgets less at the TLM than he did at the NO. It seems to truly be more interesting for him.

The kid's missals are better. We have the Angelus and TAN ones and he loves them. The Canadian NO missal is so cheeseball it's embarassing, has a woman in a short skirt and no mantilla striking her breast during the (often shortened NO confiteor).

The consecration is so much more awesome at the TLM too, elevation and all, with all-male altar boys dressed properly. NO can't hold a candle to it.

;D You know a little insane,

On a serious note I also have noticed how much more attentive and well behaved little ones are at the TLM. Last Sunday I was in the second row and there was this little dude probably about 2 or 3 just stareing at teh goings on at the Altar. So cute and cool. :incense:
yeah at our tlm a family with 9 kids take up the middle two pews at the front. Super well behaved.
This article is bull-pucky
No one should be attending a mass that isn't the worship that God Himself requests of His Church.
Attending a mass that offends the spiritual sense only makes one angry and annoyed and can scandalize and I don't think people should purposely put themselves in this situation.
(02-22-2011, 04:20 PM)Magdalene Wrote:   Just this week, I’ve heard devotees of the Traditional Latin Mass say that the Novus Ordo is “Mass for retards.” I heard a Melkite Catholic call the Roman Church “industrial-scale Christianity that turns the Mass into a Eucharist factory.”

Well, meaning no disrespect to mentally handicapped people, the novus ordo does  seem designed to be a "Mass for retards", and the Melkite has a point. 

Although we have no business embracing ugliness in worship, sometines we do have to endure it.  As an Eastern Catholic, I have heard cantors who have caused me to have to resist an overwhelming urge to storm up into the choir loft, tackle them, and stuff socks in their mouths. But I don't.  I grit my teeth and endure it, because I know it's the best they can do.
(02-22-2011, 09:16 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(02-22-2011, 08:32 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: The author of this article is engaging in a psychological defense mechanism:  rationalization.

Exactly the NO'ers know they are on the losing side even the neocons can see this when they go to Mass and the Church is half empty and the only people there are old enough to have shook hands with King David, while the TLM has young people and huge families. The writing is on the wall and its a big FU to the NO.

I hate to say it, but my NO church is full every Sunday, whereas the TLM I used to attend periodically was never full.