Ugly Church, Ugly Liturgy: Just endure it?
(02-23-2011, 11:38 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: I hate to say it, but my NO church is full every Sunday, whereas the TLM I used to attend periodically was never full. 

Yes, dear, but that TLM was twice a month at 5 pm.  It was essentially relegated to a second class service at a time nobody wanted.  Imagine if we had managed to get a chapel here in town?  I bet there would have been quite a number of people attending - most of the chant choir at our NO church to begin with and many others besides.
(02-23-2011, 01:10 PM)Fontevrault Wrote:
(02-23-2011, 11:38 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: I hate to say it, but my NO church is full every Sunday, whereas the TLM I used to attend periodically was never full. 

Yes, dear, but that TLM was twice a month at 5 pm.  It was essentially relegated to a second class service at a time nobody wanted.  Imagine if we had managed to get a chapel here in town?   I bet there would have been quite a number of people attending - most of the chant choir at our NO church to begin with and many others besides.

True, beloved, but I'm not sure it would ever get a majority of our parish.  I do hope that the TLM gets broader support, but I don't think it has that much at this time and we shouldn't kid ourselves about that.
(02-23-2011, 01:16 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: True, beloved, but I'm not sure it would ever get a majority of our parish.  I do hope that the TLM gets broader support, but I don't think it has that much at this time and we shouldn't kid ourselves about that.

I like to think that people attend NO masses for three reasons:
1.  It's the only game in town.
2.  They don't know any better because they have never attended a TLM and had crappy CCD classes.  - In short, they don't really know their faith.
3.  Religion just isn't that important to them.

In terms of growth in the church though, I think we can use the traditional monastics as an example of what may be to come.  The more traditional communities are growing while the more modern ones are at best stagnant (just wait until those old hippies die out - it's coming).  Could the same be true in the church as a whole?  I don't know.  But, I'm willing to bet that traditional parishes will outgrow NO parishes on the basis of family size and an understanding of contraceptives as wrong.  I am also willing to bet that there are very few families that choose to walk away from the TLM.  Can the same be said of the NO?  Just look at the North East US and you’ll see a very different story. 

Then we can factor in the mass exodus from the church that we see in the late teenage and twenty something department.  How many of those NO catholics will return?  Few.  Why?  Because they don't see their church as any different from the evangelical rock band gathering down the street that offers Starbucks and CDs.  Who can turn down Starbucks and a good band?  Can the same be seen in more traditional circles?  We know one very traditional family whose children have ranged far and wide and yet always come home to their faith.  They may go a little wild, but they have a solid foundation and understanding of what’s right and wrong.  If that’s an example of the traditional community as a whole, then I think we can say that there’s more stability in traddie families.
I was working on finishing Fr. Martin's "Hostage to the Devil" last night, and he said Satan/Lucifer's job was to disrupt, make ugly, and pretty much just be the opposite of God.

I thought of this thread topic.