Acupuncture? can Catholics have it done on them?
I don't believe in Chi, I think all that stuff is a rationalization from people who had to explain with primitive technology with their medical practice had good results

So, I think there is no problem in using acupuncture to reduce pain, it is just needles being inserted towards nerves

But what about people who have acupuncture to stop smoking or lose weight? It looks like some magical thinking or taking chi seriously is involved in that. Can a Catholic try acupuncture to stop smoking? I don't think so
Just because "chi" might not be a completely accurate concept doesn't mean there aren't energy patterns that run through the body.  Even modern technology has viewed such patterns and electromagnetism.  I've found acupuncture to be quite helpful for hormonal imbalances, and even more helpful for healing muscle sprains and joint aches.  The needles do not go into nerves, if they did, you'd jump off the table.
Sure you can have acupuncture.  And you can go to a chiropractor.  And you'll get the same results.

Nothing.

Knock yourself out.  :tiphat:
(03-01-2011, 01:25 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Sure you can have acupuncture.  And you can go to a chiropractor.  And you'll get the same results.

Nothing.

Knock yourself out.   :tiphat:

Maybe that's better than those hospital quacks you like to visit.  ;D
Chiropractors aren't quacks. If you are going to them for headaches or backache, their help can be immeasurable. I wouldn't go to the ones who say they can cure ANYTHING ie cancer, etc..., but most chiropractors aren't like that.
(03-01-2011, 01:49 PM)Underdog Wrote:
(03-01-2011, 01:25 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Sure you can have acupuncture.  And you can go to a chiropractor.  And you'll get the same results.

Nothing.

Knock yourself out.   :tiphat:

Maybe that's better than those hospital quacks you like to visit.   ;D

Touché.  Quackery is rampant nowadays.  ;)
(03-01-2011, 05:39 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Touché.  Quackery is rampant nowadays.   ;)

Yep, but at least some quackery has evidence backing it up!  When sham needles do just as well as the real acupuncture needles in clinical trials...I don't know, I feel like there are better uses of the time, effort, and money :P
(03-01-2011, 08:59 PM)Pheo Wrote:
(03-01-2011, 05:39 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Touché.  Quackery is rampant nowadays.   ;)

Yep, but at least some quackery has evidence backing it up!  When sham needles do just as well as the real acupuncture needles in clinical trials...I don't know, I feel like there are better uses of the time, effort, and money :P

Consider that perhaps it has nothing to do with the needles :fish: