New Front Page
EVEN IF that was true, I wouldn't have cared.

I'm from Kansas City.  We don't drink lattes here.  We like cheap coffee made from dirt, pencil shavings and barbeque sauce.
Blast from the past:

FE Frontpage from 2005

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/2005112...aters.com/
(03-14-2011, 01:43 PM)cgraye Wrote: I also go through the website.  It just feels more proper somehow.  Going directly to the forum feels like I'm climbing in through the window or something.

I’m the same way, I always go through the website, though I was here for awhile before I went back and started discovering all the GREAT stuff Vox has there.

(03-14-2011, 02:09 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Ha!  I just type in "ca" and the URL for "Show new replies to your posts" populates the rest of the field.  I didn't realize that regulars go to the front page.  It seems so Byzantine.

Hehe, well I kinda like Byzantine, so it guess it fits.  ;D

(03-14-2011, 08:04 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: I'm from Kansas City.  We don't drink lattes here.  We like cheap coffee made from dirt, pencil shavings and barbeque sauce.

On of the many reasons I live in the state where Starbucks was founded rather than Kansas, though I usually take my trade to local “ma & pa” espresso bars rather than the chains.

Great job on the site Quis!  :w2go:
This is getting too funny!

It was fun to see the WayBack version, too. Nice and clean.

I admit I don't like the two sidebars. I liked the old, more narrow version better.

I understand you have sponsors now so everything can't go on one sidebar (lest people don't see the ads). I think it would be better if the links to the about us page, forum, blog, etc. were to the right, as they used to be, with the search bar; and then the ads would go to the left, in a narrower sidebar.

I'd remove the "< go >" too (not by making them buttons). Make the whole space under each different heading (div class fesecinfo) into a link, so that it changes the background color when the cursor hovers over it. That would take doing something like a.feseclink:hover {background: whiteSmoke} in the CSS, then surrounding the div in .

/armchair_webdesigner

edit: There's a slight problem with making an entire space into a link, and that is that people won't be able to highlight the text. Not a big deal in this I case, in my opinion.
There will be more stuff going up there, such as a liturgical calendar when I finish it, so 3-col layout is kinda the way to go.    It's using a standard width for 1024 width monitors which is what we should do these days, so even if it were 2-col I would have the width the same. 

The only other option is to insert stuff in rows, but that breaks up the reading too much.

The divs need to be tweaked, for sure.  I just did a quick job to get rid of the tables that were there and give it the same look.  The , eh, I see your point.  Personally I would just make it into an action item like "Read Now" or something similar.  The biggest beef I have with , though, is that it's not clear it's a link.  That said, I'm not a fan of the hover style, but that's what the boss (Vox) wants, so that's what I did.  :)

Thanks for the feedback!
(03-14-2011, 07:51 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-14-2011, 02:09 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Ha!  I just type in "ca" and the URL for "Show new replies to your posts" populates the rest of the field.  I didn't realize that regulars go to the front page.  It seems so Byzantine.

Then you missed the free latte coupons we gave out last week?

Shame.

AARGH!  I love my coffee.  I guess I will have to check out the front page more often. :laughing:
(03-15-2011, 11:43 AM)MaterLaeta Wrote:
(03-14-2011, 07:51 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:

Then you missed the free latte coupons we gave out last week?

Shame.

AARGH!  I love my coffee.  I guess I will have to check out the front page more often. :laughing:
;)