Ash Wednesday NO Mass today
I went to Mass at noon today, and really had a disappointing experience.  It was a NO Mass, since I have no TLM close by.  Anyway, here are some quotes from the priest's homily:

“I know you all need to get back to work today, so I’m only going to preach for 15 minutes.” [Big laughs from the audience]

“I was over at the school this morning and some of the young people there asked me what I was going to give up for Lent.  You know what I told them I’m giving up?  ‘Nothing’.  I’m going to do something positive.  I’m going to concentrate on showing my love for Jesus.”

“The primary purpose of confession is not to forgive sins, but to teach us humility.  Confession was instituted to teach us humility.”

“We’re going to distribute the ashes now.  The bishop blessed ‘em this morning, so that’s done.  I’m going to give the deacon some, and some to our, uh, well, uh, helpers.  And then the deacon will give me some.  I’ve already got them, but then I’ll get another dose.  I need it, really I do.”  [laughter] “And the servers, but some of ‘em got them already too, but they’ll get more.” [more laughs]  [exit, stage right]

[oopsy, return to mic..leaning in to say] “When you come forward for ashes, you may hear ‘Remember man, you are dust, and to dust you shall return’ or ‘Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel’.”  [pregnant pause] “If you hear the second one, it isn’t because we think you are a sinner or actually need to turn away from sin. So don’t be offended.”  [Hearty, extended, laughter from the audience]

So, I went up and had ashes imposed by a “helper” who said nothing.  After I sat down, a couple of  older ladies behind me sat down and started talking.  One said, “That man didn’t say anything when he put the ashes on me.  Did he say anything to you?”  The other said, “No, maybe he wasn’t supposed to?”  The first said, “You’d think he would have said something.”  The second, “Maybe he’s saying it to himself.”  The first, “What would be the point of that?  Look at him, he’s not moving his lips or anything.  What sort of Ash Wednesday is this?”

Sigh.
It's a disease.  A horrible, horrible disease, worse than AIDS, because it kills the soul.

Novus Ordo delenda est. 
Now I'm even more excited to attend my TLM's Ash Wednesday mass tonight at 7:30 pm with my wee man.

What you describe is absolutely ridiculous. Pope Paul VI really shouldn't've decided to simplify everything to make things easier for people and adapt the faith to modern times. It's obviously completely backfired. When they cut out Fish on Friday the message received was not "oh, let us do a deep interior penance instead" but "oh, we can do nothing at all, yaay!"
(03-09-2011, 04:46 PM)Anthem Wrote: “I know you all need to get back to work today, so I’m only going to preach for 15 minutes.” [Big laughs from the audience]

Eh, how long does a sermon need to be? Especially on a weekday. There was no sermon at the TLM I attended this morning.
:o That is terrrrrible.
They are making a mockery out of the mass.
:pray: Lord have mercy! How could the priest say such things.  ???
(03-09-2011, 05:09 PM)piabee Wrote:
(03-09-2011, 04:46 PM)Anthem Wrote: “I know you all need to get back to work today, so I’m only going to preach for 15 minutes.” [Big laughs from the audience]

Eh, how long does a sermon need to be? Especially on a weekday. There was no sermon at the TLM I attended this morning.

Exactly. So you see how Protestant it's become? How important the sermon has become? It's crazy. We have no sermon at our Saturday morning TLM low mass either. But when I was attending NO weekday masses the only time there was no sermon was during a total heat wave.
Unless I drive over to Detroit, I only have the option of a pretty rowdy NO Mass tonight.  I'm not sure I can stomach it...maybe I'll spend the time in prayer instead.  ???
(03-09-2011, 05:35 PM)Pheo Wrote: Unless I drive over to Detroit, I only have the option of a pretty rowdy NO Mass tonight.  I'm not sure I can stomach it...maybe I'll spend the time in prayer instead.  ???

Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation.  It's usually too crowded for me at the NO's that I forgo it and begin my penance at home.
(03-09-2011, 05:09 PM)piabee Wrote:

Fifteen minutes would have been WAY plenty; that wasn't my point.  He only spoke for maybe five minutes.  Anyway, the joking attitude is what disturbed me, not to mention the seemingly heretical statements that peppered his homily.
(03-09-2011, 05:43 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(03-09-2011, 05:35 PM)Pheo Wrote: Unless I drive over to Detroit, I only have the option of a pretty rowdy NO Mass tonight.  I'm not sure I can stomach it...maybe I'll spend the time in prayer instead.  ???

Ash Wednesday is not a Holy Day of Obligation.  It's usually too crowded for me at the NO's that I forgo it and begin my penance at home.

When people speak of Christmas and Easter Catholics, they really ought to include Ash Wednesday.  My dear dad, God rest his soul, used to say that people came to Mass on Ash Wednesday because they thought they were getting something extra becuase of the imposition of ashes.  Kinda like how everyone liked to show up on Feb. 3 for the Blessing of Throats.

Really, I think that people like getting ashes exactly for the reason we are cautioned against in the Gospel on Ash Wednesday -- so everyone knows they are penitent.