Dead Mouse in the House
Splendid!  :) :) :)
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I hope you get a murderous one.  We've had cats that were content to lay around and basically be part of the decor and we've had ones that were insatiable serial killers.  I have to say, boy tabbies are excellent in that department and seem to be very playful and fun for the kids.  We rescued a 4 year old tabby boy (I seriously suspect he's part serval) from death row.  He's confident, really good with the kids, and he decimated our rat population.  I didn't even know we had a rat population until it ended up all over the backyard and dining room.  :puke:

Adopt a young adult from the pound so you can bypass that annoying, but cute, kitten phase.
Mice are devious creatures.  They huddle together and plot against you.  Planning ingenious places to take a crap.
;D

Traps work.  With peanut butter.

And get a good mouser.  I have two cats and they are lightning quick and go nuts if they even hear a mouse anywhere.

DCON does not hold down the smell.  What it does is cause them to hemorage and bleed to death on the inside.  It does the exact opposite of what you said.
For odor, you are probably dealing with acidic compounds and organics.  Try baking soda paste first.  If that doesn't work, hydrogen peroxide will oxidize it away.  However, peroxide will bleach things also.  Clorox also is an excellent oxidizer.  Though you get chlorine compounds which will stink on their own.  I'd recommend hydrogen peroxide (the brown bottle).  Make sure it it fresh.
This is how you handle it.  Get one of those live traps, the ones the bleeding hearts use that catch the mouse alive.  Then you chop the little SOBs front legs off with some scissors.  Then release him and he'll crawl back home and warn all his friends.  Then you will be known as Her-Whom-We-Do-Not-Name and they'll vacate the premises pronto.  The key is to make them think you're crazier than they are hungry.

That's what I'd do anyway.  :tiphat:
I nominate that in the top 10 funniest post hall of fame.  What a hoot.
Oh, I love to eat them Mousies..them Mousies is what I Love to Eat...Bite They Little Heads off..Nibble on They Tiny lil Feet
[Image: Cat_and_mouse.jpg]
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Wow, it's not every day that I log onto the forum and find my cat staring at me!  :laughing:  He looks just like that and is an excellent hunter. Half the time he's hunkered down just like that, with me trying to snatch his latest prize away from him before he strews it everywhere. But we don't have a mouse problem. ;)
(03-20-2011, 07:31 PM)James02 Wrote: Mice are devious creatures.  They huddle together and plot against you.  Planning ingenious places to take a crap.
;D

Traps work.  With peanut butter.

Traps usually work.

I used peanut butter (another house...no mice here (no basement or other places to hide). One mouse I caught a few minutes after setting two traps. I went down to get it, and found he managed to get his tail stuck in the trap (near his body). I took pity and carefully brought him outside, as far from the house I could go, and then released him. He ran away.

The next day, a tailless mouse was in the other trap. Too dumb to live.

However, the person now in that house has a mouse which cleans traps completely, without setting them off. The score seems to be one finger (human) to a full mouse.

I once caught a mouse without a trap. They are fast, but predictable. I couldn't believe I managed to catch it with a box though. It was on the counter behind the toaster. I shined a light in its face, and ran to get a rather long box (about the size where one might be able to put an arm through it). I put it on the counter along the wall, and put my hand on the other side of the toaster. They hug the walls usually, so it ran right into the box...

Not sure what was going through its mind there.

EDIT: These incidents were over a period of years and during spring time. The basement was...accessible. There was not an infestation, just a recurring rodent squatter issue each year.

(03-15-2011, 05:33 PM)Satori Wrote: What I really need is a barn owl.

Here I is!