Clerical status of St. Paul
(03-16-2011, 09:10 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I always figured that in Christ's Baptism, rather than the baptismal waters sanctifying Him, He sanctified the Baptismal waters.

This would put you in line with the Syriac tradition.  The general tradition, which is alluded to many times by St. Ephrem, is that Adam and Eve realized that they were naked because before their sin they were NOT naked - they had been clothed in a "robe of glory."  This was taken away when they were expelled from Paradise - the reason they needed to sew together clothing from fig leaves.  Christ submitted to John's baptism in order to put the primordial robe of glory into the baptismal waters.  When the priest pronounces the words of the baptismal liturgy, the waters are sacramentally transformed into the waters of the Jordan in which the person is baptized.  After descending into the waters (immersion being the normal mode of baptism in the Syriac tradition, and certainly in St. Ephrem's day), the Christian emerges clothed in the "robe of glory," which is also the wedding garment the Christian must keep unsullied from sin in order to enter the eschatological wedding feast.  Furthermore, Our Lord cursed the fig tree because Man/Adam, having been re-clothed in the robe of glory, has no further need of fig leaf clothes.
From St. Ephrem's sixth hymn on Paradise, stanza 9 (tr. Sebastian Brock):
Quote:Among the saints,
  their nakedness is clothed with glory,
none is clad with leaves
  or stands ashamed,
for they have found, through our Lord,
  the robe that belongs to Adam and Eve.
As the Church
  purges her ears
of the serpent's poison,
  those who had lost their garments,
having listened to it and become diseased,
  have now been renewed and whitened.
I've never heard that about the fig tree. Interesting.