Make this man Pope, now!!!
(03-24-2011, 11:12 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(03-24-2011, 11:00 PM)m.PR Wrote: Victim of Marini. The other Marini.

Ah, yes, the ever powerless pope.

Heh, do you seriously think Pope Benedict liked that monstrosity? I'm sure the man must have at least a little bit of taste.

Piero Marini was in fact replaced, now the pope has Msgr. Guido Marini as master of ceremonies. Who is young and traditional-minded, at least aesthetics-wise.
(03-25-2011, 01:37 AM)m.PR Wrote:

Heh, do you seriously think Pope Benedict liked that monstrosity? I'm sure the man must have at least a little bit of taste.

Qui tacit, consentit.

Certainly, nobody pointed a gun at the Vicar of Christ's head in order for him to wear that costume.
(03-25-2011, 02:04 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

Qui tacit, consentit.

Certainly, nobody pointed a gun at the Vicar of Christ's head in order for him to wear that costume.

Don't be absurd.  He fired old Marini.

Rome wasn't burned in a day.  It won't be rebuilt in a day either.
(03-24-2011, 08:49 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: I'm not sure that Vatican III would make things better. In Malachi Martin's The Keys of This Blood, he has the Pope cleaning house, abolishing RCIA and stuff like that in the presence of the assembled cardinals

I think a council is necessary, but having three councils in the same place in a row is bad style. Paris I would be more interesting.

And personally; I think the idea of the formal catechumenate is a good one. And with more unbaptized people every year, it's more necessary than ever.
(03-25-2011, 01:28 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(03-24-2011, 08:49 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: I'm not sure that Vatican III would make things better. In Malachi Martin's The Keys of This Blood, he has the Pope cleaning house, abolishing RCIA and stuff like that in the presence of the assembled cardinals

I think a council is necessary, but having three councils in the same place in a row is bad style. Paris I would be more interesting.

And personally; I think the idea of the formal catechumenate is a good one. And with more unbaptized people every year, it's more necessary than ever.

I don't know, the first to fourth Lateran councils were in quite good form. Though, a change of scenery would be nice I suppose. Maybe a council in the East, say, Constantinople.
(03-25-2011, 12:42 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(03-25-2011, 02:04 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

Qui tacit, consentit.

Don't be absurd.  He fired old Marini.

Rome wasn't burned in a day.  It won't be rebuilt in a day either.

I'm not being absurd.

The absurd idea here is that the Pope was being forced to wear those vestments against his will.
(03-25-2011, 01:28 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:

He doesn't explain why he was against the RCIA. I think the idea is that in many places it's very poor - fishies have testified to as much on the boards. Mine was very good.

If we compare to first communion with kids, the current Faith First program seems to be rather weak whereas the priest does more personalized catechesis at my TLM which seems far more appropriate. At the least the RCIA would probably be in need of reforming to up its standards.
The reason the catechesis from the priest is much better at the TLMs is because, well, the priests are often much better. Sadly, places with bad RCIA instruction would probably receive comparably bad instruction from the priest. Abolishing RCIA isn't really going to change much in that regard, IMO.

In regards to Councils, since they tend to be expensive, there could be a bidding war between cities to see who could offer the best deal--kind of like selling naming rights  ;). Seriously though, this is what happend with what became the Council of Florence.