Bp W: Why Suffering?
Didn't Japan approve the abortion pill just a few days before the devastation?
(03-20-2011, 06:26 PM)James02 Wrote: Didn't Japan approve the abortion pill just a few days before the devastation?

Don't know.  I don't think God acts on a particular event.  When He punishes with nature, my opinion it is more often than not a summation of sin that boils over, and not  necessarily on the people taking the hit.  It's a wakeup call for everyone.  Some people are collateral damage, but they go to heaven because they died in Sanctifying Grace, so it's not really a punishment for them.

Really, if he punished Japan for that, the US would have been made a wasteland a long time ago.
The scripture where Jesus comments on the fall of the tower on the workers comes to mind.  He said it was not due to their sin.

Still, God chastises nations.  And yeah, the USA is really going to get it.  Though we have the benefit of many TLMs offered daily to propitiate Him.  Still He is Just, which is why I think we are going to get creamed pretty soon.  Last I checked, we are currently involved in at least 3 wars.
(03-20-2011, 06:10 PM)Underdog Wrote: 2  The whole West is not godless...in fact the West is more Christian than any place on earth.  An SSPX bishop should know that already.

Most Christians in the West are Christian in name only. In the U.S., Mass attendance is at 23%. In most European countries, it is 3% or 5%.
Europe is two decades away from from being a completely Muslim continent. The U.S. is a completely Atheist secular country. How many Christians actually practice the faith and follow the laws and commandments of God? Certainly less than 5% The West is in total apostasy from God and in current decline.
(03-20-2011, 07:12 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: Europe is two decades away from from being a completely Muslim continent.
Certainly, the situation in Europe is grim, but this time frame seems a little hyperbolic. That said, I agree with the rest of your post.

(03-20-2011, 06:40 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-20-2011, 06:26 PM)James02 Wrote: Didn't Japan approve the abortion pill just a few days before the devastation?

Don't know.  I don't think God acts on a particular event.  When He punishes with nature, my opinion it is more often than not a summation of sin that boils over, and not  necessarily on the people taking the hit.  It's a wakeup call for everyone.  Some people are collateral damage, but they go to heaven because they died in Sanctifying Grace, so it's not really a punishment for them.

Really, if he punished Japan for that, the US would have been made a wasteland a long time ago.
I've always thought that natural disasters are usually a result of Original Sin, not a chastisement or wakeup call for a specific time or place.
(03-20-2011, 07:12 PM)SaintRafael Wrote:
(03-20-2011, 06:10 PM)Underdog Wrote: 2  The whole West is not godless...in fact the West is more Christian than any place on earth.  An SSPX bishop should know that already.

Most Christians in the West are Christian in name only. In the U.S., Mass attendance is at 23%. In most European countries, it is 3% or 5%.
Europe is two decades away from from being a completely Muslim continent. The U.S. is a completely Atheist secular country. How many Christians actually practice the faith and follow the laws and commandments of God? Certainly less than 5% The West is in total apostasy from God and in current decline.

You don't know most American Christians (approx 78+%)...who are most definitely not Christians merely in name (some maybe...but not even likely the majority)...I'm surrounded by many of them...am friends with a lot of them...and my own mother is the most charitable woman I know.  We have the reputation for being the absolute most generous folks on the entire planet...because we are Christians.  Your accusation that "The U.S. is a completely Atheist secular country" is 100% false...something I'm sure you already know...but like to throw around to denigrate Americans; now, our govt is secular...which I think is a good thing...but our people are most certainly not predominantly atheist or non-Christian.  As for how many Christians actually never sin(ned)...that would all of...umm...3?  (Jesus, Mary, & St. John the Baptist); guess what...Christians...ALL Christians...are sinners...which means at some point in their lives...ALL Christians...either become spiritually slothful or disobey God...but that doesn't make them not Christians anymore.  Furthermore, the West is not in total apostasy...that's a ridiculous claim...especially considering you're posting on a traditional Catholic forum...where most of the folks are (still) Catholic.

Also...Quis...just wanted to make a small correction to one of your previous posts.
(03-20-2011, 06:20 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: God, Country, Family - in that order.  We do not remain aligned to countries over the Faith.
I believe you mean God, Family, Country...with which I fully agree.
(03-21-2011, 08:10 PM)Underdog Wrote: now, our govt is secular...which I think is a good thing...

And hence the problem.
(03-21-2011, 08:10 PM)Underdog Wrote: We have the reputation for being the absolute most generous folks on the entire planet...because we are Christians. 
I'm not sure that this reputation actually exists outside of the United States . . .
Underdog wrote:

"You don't know most American Christians (approx 78+%)...who are most definitely not Christians merely in name (some maybe...but not even likely the majority)...I'm surrounded by many of them...am friends with a lot of them...and my own mother is the most charitable woman I know.  We have the reputation for being the absolute most generous folks on the entire planet...because we are Christians.  Your accusation that "The U.S. is a completely Atheist secular country" is 100% false...something I'm sure you already know...but like to throw around to denigrate Americans; now, our govt is secular...which I think is a good thing...but our people are most certainly not predominantly atheist or non-Christian.  As for how many Christians actually never sin(ned)...that would all of...umm...3?  (Jesus, Mary, & St. John the Baptist); guess what...Christians...ALL Christians...are sinners...which means at some point in their lives...ALL Christians...either become spiritually slothful or disobey God...but that doesn't make them not Christians anymore.  Furthermore, the West is not in total apostasy...that's a ridiculous claim...especially considering you're posting on a traditional Catholic forum...where most of the folks are (still) Catholic."

Underdog check out these polling results from Pew Research: http://religions.pewforum.org/portraits
After you read the Catholic numbers, check out the responses from the Protestant sects. You will find that while many claim a Christian belief, few actually live one. I think that was what St. Raphael was pointing to. The US is becoming a secular state. and the more we continue to slide down that path, the more this country will suffer.

(03-21-2011, 08:10 PM)Underdog Wrote: Also...Quis...just wanted to make a small correction to one of your previous posts.
(03-20-2011, 06:20 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: God, Country, Family - in that order.  We do not remain aligned to countries over the Faith.
I believe you mean God, Family, Country...with which I fully agree.

No, I meant it as written: God, Country, Family.  Men die in combat for the common good, including their families.  Families need to sacrifice members to the survival of the nation.  Those blessed enough to be US Marines refer to God, Country, Corps.

God Family Country is a Neo-Conservative spin on a Conservative saying.