Bp W: Why Suffering?
(03-21-2011, 08:56 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(03-21-2011, 08:10 PM)Underdog Wrote: now, our govt is secular...which I think is a good thing...

And hence the problem.

Agreed.  Catholics should want a Catholic government that governs by the moral laws of the Church.
(03-20-2011, 06:10 PM)Underdog Wrote: 1  Western-style materialism...what about...Eastern-style materialism?  Unless Bishop Williamson is addressing Communism...which is Western materialism; however, I doubt that since BW is a supporter of distributism...which is just another type of Communism-lite.

I guess you are not aware that both Capitalism and Communism are products of the so called "Enlightenment".  Distributism is not Communism-lite.  "Distributism is a third-way economic philosophy formulated by such Catholic thinkers as G. K. Chesterton and Hilaire Belloc to apply the principles of Catholic social teaching articulated by the Catholic Church, especially in Pope Leo XIII's encyclical Rerum Novarum and more expansively explained by Pope Pius XI's encyclical Quadragesimo Anno."  I particularly like a form of Distributism called Social Credit.  It would put an end to a lot of today's problems such as a central private banking system, globalism and the welfare state if done properly.  The Michael Journal has an excellent online critique explaining Social Credit.  This is what many in the alternative center right including some in the Tea Party are looking at.
http://www.michaeljournal.org/plenty.htm

In 2009 an FE member named Belloc posted an excellent article here at Fish Eaters titled 'A History of Distributism' showing the connection between Distributism and Social Credit.
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...=3422944.0   
(03-23-2011, 11:14 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-21-2011, 08:10 PM)Underdog Wrote: Also...Quis...just wanted to make a small correction to one of your previous posts.
(03-20-2011, 06:20 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: God, Country, Family - in that order.  We do not remain aligned to countries over the Faith.
I believe you mean God, Family, Country...with which I fully agree.

No, I meant it as written: God, Country, Family.  Men die in combat for the common good, including their families.  Families need to sacrifice members to the survival of the nation.  Those blessed enough to be US Marines refer to God, Country, Corps.

God Family Country is a Neo-Conservative spin on a Conservative saying.

Quis, I'm gonna hafta disagree with you.  We could simplify it to God & Country...but by "Country" we understand our moral obligations to be ordered from that which is closest to us--family (parents/children)--to that which is farthest away (other kin, local community, state/region, country).  You could refer to the Neo-Con Manifesto of which the Catholic Encyclopedia has an interesting discussion, which corresponds with what the great Neo-Con himself said here and here (Article 6).

:tiphat:
Think of only three things: your God, your family and the Green Bay Packers-in that order.
- Vince Lombardi

[Image: cheese_head-3858.gif]
Quote:The three constants throughout Lombardi's life were sports, particularly football, family and religion.[70] His father was a daily communicant throughout his life[citation needed] and his mother's favorite picture of him as a child was on his Confirmation."[71] When Lombardi was 12, on Easter Sunday while serving as an altar boy, "...amid the color and pageantry scarlet and white vestments, golden cross, scepters, the wafers and wine, body and blood, ...that the inspiration came to him that he should become a priest...",[72] which when his mother, Matty, got wind of, she bragged about it to her neighbors.[73] Lombardi attended mass on a daily basis throughout his life.[74] In later years, he told friends, being a football coach allowed him to be a "father figure and leader...like a priest...but did not force him to repress his emotions."[75]
During his tenure at St. Cecilia, Lombardi attended mass every day and "prayed for calm and control: of his temper and..." his wife's drinking.[76] When Lombardi became head coach of football in 1942, he would lead his team to Sunday mass before each home game.[77] At St. Cecilia, Lombardi shared an office with Father Tim Moore wherein it was not unusual for Lombardi to interrupt a conversation and request to go to Confession and which Father Tim would oblige him right in the office.[78] During his stay at Green Bay, Lombardi once emerged from his office and appeared before his secretary, Ruth McKloskey, wearing "...all these priest robes on, and he had a miter with a tassel, everything."[79] Each day on his way to work for the Green Bay Packers, Lombardi would stop at St. Willebrord and "offer a prayer in case of unexpected death: 'My God, if I am to die today, or suddenly at any time, I wish to receive this Communion as my viaticum...'."[80] On the morning of the dedication of Lombardi Avenue, Lombardi remarked, to his 37 member entourage, he was pleased to have gotten them all up to attend morning mass.[81] Lombardi was also a 4th degree in the Catholic fraternity the Knights of Columbus.[citation needed]
From Wiki.
Sorry, I don't understand what the 10 Commandments have to do with putting family before country.  If you want to explain it, I'll listen, but I don't get it just by reference to it.

It is a Catholic principle that the common good outweighs the needs of the individual, including the individual family.   The common civil good is usually defined by what is good for one's nation.  That would go to service both civil and military.

I'm not sure by what logic you put family before country.  I know the Neo-Cons do it, but they're not going from a Catholic (or even Conservative) basis.