Fr. Corapi's "deep pockets"
Fr. Corapi's "deep pockets"

There is an aspect of the abuse allegations against Fr. Corapi and the accompanying lawsuit that many people have overlooked:

Quote:Qui tam False Claims Act lawsuit

Corapi filed a qui tam False Claims Act lawsuit against Redding Medical Center cardiologist Chae Hyun Moon after Dr. Moon informed Corapi in 2002 that he was in immediate need of triple bypass surgery, but then told Corapi the procedure could wait three weeks. Corapi decided to seek other medical advice, and it was found he had perfectly clear arteries. Corapi ultimately went to the FBI and filed the suit that was the basis of an FBI raid, and multi-year investigation into Dr. Moon's practice.[13]

The United States Department of Justice reached a settlement with four cardiologists and Tenet Healthcare Corporation, the owner of Redding Hospital during 2005, in part due to Corapi's initial complaint. Three physicians, Dr. Fidel Realyvasquez, Dr. Kent Brusett, and Dr. Ricardo Javier Moreno-Cabral, settled for a total of $24 million; Realyvasquez and Moon, the target of Corapi's lawsuit, paid $1.4 million; and agreed to never perform cardiology procedures or surgeries on Medicare, Medi-Cal or Tricare patients.[14] Moon's medical license was eventually revoked in 2007 for gross negligence, among other charges. Realyvasquez is still practicing in California.[15]

Corapi was awarded $2,712,281 (USD) for his role as a whistleblower in the False Claims Act Lawsuit as well as the $500,000 USD he and his friend were awarded for the insurance case they filed.[16] His involvement as a whistle-blower in the federal investigation of the practices in the Redding Medical Center played an important role in Stephen Klaidman's non-fiction book Coronary.

Surely, a disgruntled former employee's abuse allegations would have nothing to do with his $3.2 million lawsuit settlement, would they?

Would a lawyer who otherwise wouldn't touch a non-credible allegation be willing to roll the dice if he thought the priest had "deep pockets"?
Very interesting, indeed.

On a somewhat related topic, what does a priest do with such a windfall?
(03-21-2011, 04:44 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: Very interesting, indeed.

My guesses are he'd put it into some form of retirement plan/nest egg for the future.  Then go ahead and donate a bunch of it, as well.
(03-21-2011, 04:47 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(03-21-2011, 04:44 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: Very interesting, indeed.

My guesses are he'd put it into some form of retirement plan/nest egg for the future.  Then go ahead and donate a bunch of it, as well.

That makes sense, of course.  I know that priests get paid for their position.  I guess I just get confused on what they do with that money.  Do they have to spend it on rent and food just like the rest of us?
Fr. Corapi is a member of the religious order The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT) 

The SOLT priests take a vow of poverty. I assume it went to SOLT.
(03-21-2011, 04:50 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: That makes sense, of course.  I know that priests get paid for their position.  I guess I just get confused on what they do with that money.  Do they have to spend it on rent and food just like the rest of us?

Most priests (not the idealized kind) presumably have hobbies. Reverend Father Corapi does hunting, at least based on one picture I saw. And while the ideal priest prays and ministers to people all the time, surely we all know of priests who spend more time hanging out in the rectory or driving nice cars. For the unscrupulous man, diocesan priesthood can be one of the cushiest jobs ever. After all, it's pretty much impossible to be fired.
(03-21-2011, 04:55 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(03-21-2011, 04:50 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: That makes sense, of course.  I know that priests get paid for their position.  I guess I just get confused on what they do with that money.  Do they have to spend it on rent and food just like the rest of us?

Most priests (not the idealized kind) presumably have hobbies. Reverend Father Corapi does hunting, at least based on one picture I saw. And while the ideal priest prays and ministers to people all the time, surely we all know of priests who spend more time hanging out in the rectory or driving nice cars. For the unscrupulous man, diocesan priesthood can be one of the cushiest jobs ever. After all, it's pretty much impossible to be fired.

Of course, though, this isn't inherently bad.  My theology of the priesthood is rather low, but I do not see why it is bad for a priest to have a hobby or do something else when he's not busy priesting.  Everything for the greater glory of God, of course.

Besides, I'm sure Jesus did more than just preach for three years. 

(03-21-2011, 04:52 PM)Kopp Wrote: Fr. Corapi is a member of the religious order The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT) 

The SOLT priests take a vow of poverty. I assume it went to SOLT.

If that's the case, then how can the lawyers get at the money?  It no longer belongs to Father Corapi, right?
To clarify, I see nothing wrong with diocesan priests having "normal" lifestyles when they're not priesting.
(03-21-2011, 05:04 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: To clarify, I see nothing wrong with diocesan priests having "normal" lifestyles when they're not priesting.

KK.  It just seemed to be more negative than positive.  Mea culpa!