Man Sentenced to Ten Years of Prison for an Abortion
(03-23-2011, 01:18 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Did I say anywhere, anywhere at all that someone would be making a false statement?   I just anticipated that some dork, geek, doofus, half-wit or other would want to waste time talking about THAT rather than the story itself, and I also wanted to make sure that possibly mentally challenged readers wouldn't get lost on the way. 

This is a public forum with rules of which we are all members.

Is that sort of statement really appropriate? You used this forum to post a link to your blog with a title that was designed to get interest. "Man sentenced to ten years of prison for attempted murder" is not that attention grabbing. The crime here is apparently not punished, the murder of a child. It is disappointing that the claims of the headline are misleading for those who care to see governments working to end the evil of infant murder.

The title misrepresents the actual story. He went to jail for attempted murder of the woman, not for the murder of the child, which goes without justice.
(03-23-2011, 04:03 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(03-23-2011, 01:18 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Did I say anywhere, anywhere at all that someone would be making a false statement?   I just anticipated that some dork, geek, doofus, half-wit or other would want to waste time talking about THAT rather than the story itself, and I also wanted to make sure that possibly mentally challenged readers wouldn't get lost on the way. 

This is a public forum with rules of which we are all members.

Is that sort of statement really appropriate? You used this forum to post a link to your blog with a title that was designed to get interest. "Man sentenced to ten years of prison for attempted murder" is not that attention grabbing. The crime here is apparently not punished, the murder of a child. It is disappointing that the claims of the headline are misleading for those who care to see governments working to end the evil of infant murder.

The title misrepresents the actual story. He went to jail for attempted murder of the woman, not for the murder of the child, which goes without justice.

He's going to prison for an abortion.  That's a true statement. It's not even misleading. 
(03-23-2011, 04:17 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: He's going to prison for an abortion.  That's a true statement. It's not even misleading. 

It is not true. It is misleading.

He is, by the words of your blog, convicted of attempted murder. The woman lives. The child is dead. Justice is for the woman, whose life was endangered. Justice for the child is in God's hands.

The legal system involved did not consider the loss of the life of the child to be anything significant.
(03-23-2011, 04:21 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(03-23-2011, 04:17 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: He's going to prison for an abortion.  That's a true statement. It's not even misleading. 

It is not true. It is misleading.

He is, by the words of your blog, convicted of attempted murder. The woman lives. The child is dead. Justice is for the woman, whose life was endangered. Justice for the child is in God's hands.

The legal system involved did not consider the loss of the life of the child to be anything significant.

Lol, everyone has an opinion... just make sure it's meaningful and true.
(03-23-2011, 04:38 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Lol, everyone has an opinion... just make sure it's meaningful and true.

I do not mean to disparage you. I am pointing out communication issues with the title.

People clicking on it will think something happened that did not. It is, from a literary standpoint, inaccurate and misleading. A person was not sent to prison by a legal system because of killing an unborn child. The government involved still approves such murder. It is not a victory for life or justice.
(03-23-2011, 02:49 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: If you read the article, my explanation, you'd know that abortion is legal in Germany,
Actually, abortion is illegal in Germany, even if many people (including Germans) don't know this.
The German Constitutional Court has decided (in a "reverse" Roe vs. Wade ruling), that legal abortion is unconstitutional. Unfortunately, after that ruling, German politicians have invented a system of "crime without punishment", meaning that abortion is still illegal, but (under certain circumstances) not persecuted. In this case the abortion would have been punishable, because the conditions of non-persecution were not existing. However the court obviously decided to go for an attempted murder ruling.
Show some charity, guys!

First of all, this story is copied from a blog called "The Eponymous Flower" and, unless Augustine Baker goes by TANCRED and posted that story, it's not his fault that the subject is wrong. 

Now, if that is his blog and he did post that story, I think what he means is that the imprisonment should be for abortion and not only attempted murder (agreeing with person who said that already). I can't read the original German at all, so don't know if this is the exact translation.

It's true that he wouldn't be going to jail had he not tried to commit an abortion, but the reason is really that it had a secondary effect-- that of almost killing the mother-- that actually put him in jail.

I'm pretty sure that people who read this forum are more intelligent than average, not dorks, geeks, doofuses, or half-wits. Asking for clarification about something does not make someone one of these.

Lastly, none of us are perfect. This forum is only open to humans (right?). There are no saints or angels, and everyone is bound to make mistakes sometimes.

:)
I think kreuz.net DOES think abortion should be a crime punishable by ten years in prison.  That's not an angle I'd personally thought of.

[Zehn  :Ten: Jahre :Years: Knast Slammer  für  :for: Abtreibung :abortion:] is the German.  Maybe someone would have translated it different, but I translated it, "Man Sentenced to Ten Years of Prison for Abortion"

What utter dry, tedious sticks...

And yes, there are a lot of self-proclaimed geeks, dorks, and the like who come into this forum, people who often engage in fruitless pursuits based on their pastimes related to fantasy literature and film.  I think it's a huge waste of time, personally.
(03-23-2011, 04:45 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote:
(03-23-2011, 02:49 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: If you read the article, my explanation, you'd know that abortion is legal in Germany,
Actually, abortion is illegal in Germany, even if many people (including Germans) don't know this.
The German Constitutional Court has decided (in a "reverse" Roe vs. Wade ruling), that legal abortion is unconstitutional. Unfortunately, after that ruling, German politicians have invented a system of "crime without punishment", meaning that abortion is still illegal, but (under certain circumstances) not persecuted. In this case the abortion would have been punishable, because the conditions of non-persecution were not existing. However the court obviously decided to go for an attempted murder ruling.

Thanks, that's very informative.  Did NOT know that. 
The title, while confusing, is technically accurate.

He was sentenced "for an abortion" (gone bad).  Not "for abortion" which would imply that he was sentenced for performing an abortion in general.

Just as someone can be sentenced for "a stock market trading plan" if the stock market technique involves something illegal like insider trading rather than he was sentenced "for stock market trading plans"  in general.

The key is the article which expresses a specific circumstance.

I mean, we can be pedantic, but if we're going to be pedantic, we need to be correctly pedantic.   The problem with the title isn't that it is wrong or purposefully and necessarily misleading.  The problem is that it is ambiguous which causes people to jump to unnecessary conclusions about the meaning.