Catholic weddings decline in Rhode Island.
Statistics show that the Catholic wedding rate in Rhode Island has dropped 71% in the past 40 years.

40 years...Coincidence?  ???

(Oh, and check out what the priest is wearing).

Too bad no one brought up plummeting Catholic marriage rates in RI during +JPII's beatification process.
It's probably because it's a small state.
(03-23-2011, 06:45 PM)patriciaa Wrote: It's probably because it's a small state.

But it's always been a small state, patriciaa.

And it is, or was, a very Catholic state, too, with lots of French, Italian, German, and Portuguese Catholics.

Unless the Catholic population of RI has decreased substantially in the past 40 years, that 71% decrease in Catholic weddings is really shocking. 
(03-24-2011, 12:35 AM)Revixit Wrote:
(03-23-2011, 06:45 PM)patriciaa Wrote: It's probably because it's a small state.

But it's always been a small state, patriciaa.

And it is, or was, a very Catholic state, too, with lots of French, Italian, German, and Portuguese Catholics.

Unless the Catholic population of RI has decreased substantially in the past 40 years, that 71% decrease in Catholic weddings is really shocking. 

Do not forget the Polish. I know of at least one Polish family that settled there: my grandmother's.
"Many couples aren't following Catholic principles and are moving out of Rhode Island."

I didn't know that living in Rhode Island was practicing a Catholic principle!  Sorry.  That just jumped out at me.  The statistics are awful, but not surprising, unfortunately.
It's called the "Great" Apostasy for a reason.
This should not be a surprise given the Church's 'new evangelism' being in full force since the Vatican II era.  To complement this, the way society is structured (a word I use loosely), marriage is made a less desirable state of life.
Wasnt Rhode Island founded to be some sort of protestant haven?
(03-24-2011, 02:32 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Wasnt Rhode Island founded to be some sort of protestant haven?

Same could be said for much of colonial America in general: a dumping ground for English nonconformists.