Fr. Corapi Being Pulled from EWTN
(03-24-2011, 12:12 PM)Gerard Wrote: They really are a silly group of people with delusions about themselves and their warped "vision" of what the Catholic Church is. 

You are correct, Gerard, and I think that it is sort of ridiculous to remove his shows until he is proven guilty, however, if it does end up, God forbid, that the allegations are true, then wouldn't you agree that pulling his programs would be a prudent decision?  It's not necessarily a message which says that the content of his programs is false.  What it would be, however, would be a decision to make sure that people don't associate hypocrisy with, at the least, measured orthodoxy.  In a time of such confusion and apostasy, it is all too easy for the doubtful and the enemies of the Church to link Fr.'s sins with his faith, to set him up as an example of the failure and absurdity of the "old way". 
EWTN just ain't Catholic... too many prots and old laywomen running the show.  Nothing good comes of that.
If it keeps him off the air and out of conferences with his 'John Paul II' this and 'Vatican II' that then huzzah.
(03-24-2011, 01:28 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: If it keeps him off the air and out of conferences with his 'John Paul II' this and 'Vatican II' that then huzzah.

;)
(03-24-2011, 01:07 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: EWTN just ain't Catholic... too many prots and old laywomen running the show.  Nothing good comes of that.

Haven't watched the station in about twenty years, but judging from their radio station (which I also stopped listening to about three years ago), the protestant  converts rule the roost.  How the Church survived without them?
(03-24-2011, 12:55 PM)Walty Wrote: You are correct, Gerard, and I think that it is sort of ridiculous to remove his shows until he is proven guilty, however, if it does end up, God forbid, that the allegations are true, then wouldn't you agree that pulling his programs would be a prudent decision?  It's not necessarily a message which says that the content of his programs is false.  What it would be, however, would be a decision to make sure that people don't associate hypocrisy with, at the least, measured orthodoxy.  In a time of such confusion and apostasy, it is all too easy for the doubtful and the enemies of the Church to link Fr.'s sins with his faith, to set him up as an example of the failure and absurdity of the "old way". 

I think it would be more charitable to show his programs and begin and end them with an introduction like they do for Bishop Sheen's program.  They could use the example of his great preaching and ask the viewers who are inspired to pray to Our Lady that he would recieve the grace to repent or return or whatever would be necessary.  That's the whole point of Fr. Corapi's ministry is the opportunity for redemption.   The Catholic Church is the Church that has confessional boxes along with the empty tomb.

We love to tell the story of St. Maria Goretti and the conversion of Serenelli but we are merciless to the repentent public figures, there seems to be a disconnect with that.  We have a Church that hides the real obstinate crimiinals and punishes the innocent and the repentent orthodox.  

What chance does a priest have when the hierarchy will barely defend Pope Pius XII?  We have one elderly nun and a jewish man with a sense of justice defending Pius XII.  

The hypocrisy is in the Churchmen's methods not in the failure of this or that priest to live up to the standards of the Church, when they are contrite.  

I"d love to know what the complaint against Fr. C actually looks like since you can't sue someone for hypocrisy or falling into sin.  
(03-24-2011, 01:36 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(03-24-2011, 12:55 PM)Walty Wrote: You are correct, Gerard, and I think that it is sort of ridiculous to remove his shows until he is proven guilty, however, if it does end up, God forbid, that the allegations are true, then wouldn't you agree that pulling his programs would be a prudent decision?  It's not necessarily a message which says that the content of his programs is false.  What it would be, however, would be a decision to make sure that people don't associate hypocrisy with, at the least, measured orthodoxy.  In a time of such confusion and apostasy, it is all too easy for the doubtful and the enemies of the Church to link Fr.'s sins with his faith, to set him up as an example of the failure and absurdity of the "old way". 

I think it would be more charitable to show his programs and begin and end them with an introduction like they do for Bishop Sheen's program.  They could use the example of his great preaching and ask the viewers who are inspired to pray to Our Lady that he would recieve the grace to repent or return or whatever would be necessary.  That's the whole point of Fr. Corapi's ministry is the opportunity for redemption.  The Catholic Church is the Church that has confessional boxes along with the empty tomb.

We love to tell the story of St. Maria Goretti and the conversion of Serenelli but we are merciless to the repentent public figures, there seems to be a disconnect with that.  We have a Church that hides the real obstinate crimiinals and punishes the innocent and the repentent orthodox. 

What chance does a priest have when the hierarchy will barely defend Pope Pius XII?  We have one elderly nun and a jewish man with a sense of justice defending Pius XII. 

The hypocrisy is in the Churchmen's methods not in the failure of this or that priest to live up to the standards of the Church, when they are contrite. 

I"d love to know what the complaint against Fr. C actually looks like since you can't sue someone for hypocrisy or falling into sin. 

Good points.  Shunning is, after all, such a Protestant practice, which, as you mentioned, is antithetical to the faith.  I would agree that they should ultimately continue to be run, no matter what the outcome here is, under two conditions.  1) The apology and repentance of any priest or host who falls into sin.  2) A disclaimer, one which should probably be only temporary, a) recalling that apology and reaffirming the Church's focus on forgivenes, and b) asserting that the content of the programs is the teaching of the Church which is relevant and true no matter what sort of external issues relate to the messenger.
Exactly Walty and Gerard. 

The shunning bit, the focus on appearance, etc. all leave a bitter scent of Protestant. 

For example, during my conversion I was peppered by NeoCatholics who with chests puffed out belittled 'St. Augustine and Constantine for leading horrible lives.' 

Often, these are the same types who 'lived it up' and late in life after amassing a small fortune during a wave of King USDollar become the busy bees at the parish.  They often talk  down to the minute population of 20-30s Catholics who actually go to Mass and try to be Catholic; lectures on sexual morality, painfully detailed descriptions of NFP (-bleh-) and how it is a prerequisite to marriage (along with a Masters and about 5 years in a 'respectable' job.)

I'm generalizing, but this strain is there and frankly it is not anymore helpful to spreading the Gospel than the most vinegar of Trads.

I say let the finding of facts occur before rushing to judgement and tarnishing a person's legacy.  And most importantly, not get distracted by the specks in our brothers' eyes.
(03-24-2011, 01:07 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: EWTN just ain't Catholic... too many prots and old laywomen running the show.  Nothing good comes of that.
Boy is this the truth, I can't even turn that channel on without some liberal old hag or "former" Prot convert on there spewing their nonsense.

The only thing worth viewing was MA old shows, Corapi's CCC and Bishop Sheen.

Now it's down to two.
(03-25-2011, 09:19 AM)alaric Wrote:
Boy is this the truth, I can't even turn that channel on without some liberal old hag or "former" Prot convert on there spewing their nonsense.

The only thing worth viewing was MA old shows, Corapi's CCC and Bishop Sheen.

Now it's down to two.

Here's my thinking. If you have moved beyond it, which is the goal, good for you and me. But, I do think the network does and has done a lot of good for a lot of lukewarm Catholics and badly catechized Catholics, which is about 100% in my generation. Without EWTN, I doubt Michael Voris would have emerged. The Church took a long time to come to this sorry state, it wll take years to rebuild. But rest assured, it will be rebuilt.

Father Corapi got me back into the Confessional after a 30 year hiatus. Father Pacwa's shows are pretty good, and I also used to like The Journey Home by Marcus Grodi, although I have tired of the conversion stories, and hearing about getting over the Catholic devotion to our Lady. And of course, I very much enjoy Dale Ahlquist's shows on Chesterton, the Apostle of Common Sense.