Catholic view on aliens
(03-24-2011, 06:48 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(03-24-2011, 06:40 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Aliens = fallen angels.

Probably.  But I know of nothing that theologically precludes actual aliens from existing. So, they might.

Quis,  I always deeply respect your knowledge. 

On this topic, I wonder what the eschatological implications are for a Vulcan and her theoretical sentient inhabitants.  Would an End Times play out there as it will at some point here?  Or, would they not be in need of salvation because they never fell?  Would it not be expected that somewhere in Scripture other worlds would be described?  Could these hypothetical inhabitants be some kind of Angel?

What are your thoughts?
(03-24-2011, 07:15 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(03-24-2011, 07:13 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(03-24-2011, 07:01 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Revelation is only about man's relationship with God.  The little green men may have a different one even if they are not created in His image.  Angels, for example, are rational creatures and have a completely different relationship with Him, one we actually know little about.

Nevertheless, we know Angels exist because God revealed that to us. It strikes me as odd that God would withhold from us the fact that he created another race of rational creatures.

Well, it's not like God has to ask out permission or anything. There's lots we don't know about, for sure.

But since the Lord our God was inclined, by his mercy alone, to reveal unknown and unknowable facts to us about the creation of the universe, it's odd - to say the least - that He would leave out aliens. Moreso if these aliens have the ability to interfere with our lives.
Hi... okay locked, our antlers are locked LOL a healthy battle of beliefs. I am on the created in the image of God side, so I am more inclined to say alien stuff is really demonic.I hesitate to say because the sky is not falling (yet) but there is a lot of this influence out there. Just look at all the broken families, addictions and stuff people have to deal with each day. I even think those lights people see falling may even be a fallen angel but who knows. I think angels have their work cut out for them. My husband is teaching our son that there are aliens without concrete proof. This reminds me of this joke:
A little girl asked her mother,
"How did the human race start?"
The mother answered,
"God made Adam and Eve and they had children,
and so all mankind was made."Two days later the girl asked her father the same question. The father answered,
..."Many years ago there were monkeys from which the human race evolved."
The confused girl returned to her mother and said,
"Mom, how is it possible that you told me the human race
was created by God, and Dad said they developed from monkeys?"
The mother answered,
"Well, dear, it is very simple.
...I told you about my side of the family and your father told you about his."

LOL
(03-24-2011, 06:50 PM)Petertherock Wrote: The Vatican said it's OK to believe in aliens.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355400,00.html

Vatican: It's OK for Catholics to Believe in Aliens
No, a person in the Vatican said that. An astronomer. He could believe anything. He is not the Church.
It's interesting to note that if intelligent life exists, then philosophically speaking it is human - since man is defined as a 'rational animal'. This would apply equally to aliens and to us.

Theologically, it would seem difficult to say that God placed some sorts of rational animals in a different order of grace/nature (pure nature, or supernatural state and not having fallen etc). Or would it?

Though I do think the phenomenon is largely demonic though. One other possible conjecture (no evidence whatsoever for this though): ufo's are manned by our distant ancestors (probably from pre-Flood times) - that could explain why certain aliens are described as very much human looking.  
(03-24-2011, 08:54 PM)Lagrange Wrote: It's interesting to note that if intelligent life exists, then philosophically speaking it is human - since man is defined as a 'rational animal'. This would apply equally to aliens and to us.
The being has to be a child of Adam and Eve to be human.

The question here is what is "life" and what is "intelligent". If something exists which is alien to earth, yet alive, I do not think it would resemble life on earth. I think, on a certain level, life apart from where God is known to have created it, is not actually "alive".

Quote:Though I do think the phenomenon is largely demonic though. One other possible conjecture (no evidence whatsoever for this though): ufo's are manned by our distant ancestors (probably from pre-Flood times) - that could explain why certain aliens are described as very much human looking.  

Most alien archtypes are very human, as you note, furthermore, they are culturally specific. They exhibit very human characteristics. The "greys" for instance have exaggerated human characteristics, sort of a psychological profile of what the human brain looks for in humans.

This, and the lack of actual evidence, says to me aliens do not exist, especially not in the way we imagine them.

We have no proof one way or the other to back up your opinion.

And all we are doing on this thread is giving our private opinions on whether or not aliens exist.

We talked about this around this time two years ago in the archived discussion thread called "Padre Pio & extra-terrestrial life?"

Here is the link to the thread:

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...393.0.html
(03-25-2011, 12:48 AM)HailGilbert Wrote:

We have no proof one way or the other to back up your opinion.

And all we are doing on this thread is giving our private opinions on whether or not aliens exist.

It does not seem to me that the Deposit of Faith supports or even hints at the possibility of rational alien life. Fallen angels seem to be the best hypothesis to describe alien sightings.

I believe that the burden of proof rests on those who wish to argue in favour of a scenario where God creates other rational creatures, a scenario totally absent from revelation.
(03-24-2011, 08:54 PM)Lagrange Wrote: It's interesting to note that if intelligent life exists, then philosophically speaking it is human - since man is defined as a 'rational animal'. This would apply equally to aliens and to us.

Theologically, it would seem difficult to say that God placed some sorts of rational animals in a different order of grace/nature (pure nature, or supernatural state and not having fallen etc). Or would it?

Though I do think the phenomenon is largely demonic though. One other possible conjecture (no evidence whatsoever for this though): ufo's are manned by our distant ancestors (probably from pre-Flood times) - that could explain why certain aliens are described as very much human looking.  

This is a pretty popular opinion these days.  I just don't know how pre-historic descendants of Cain would have lifted up off the earth and into living in space.  We're many years away from being able to do the same thing.
(03-24-2011, 07:58 PM)candyapple Wrote: Hi... okay locked, our antlers are locked LOL a healthy battle of beliefs. I am on the created in the image of God side, so I am more inclined to say alien stuff is really demonic.I hesitate to say because the sky is not falling (yet) but there is a lot of this influence out there. Just look at all the broken families, addictions and stuff people have to deal with each day. I even think those lights people see falling may even be a fallen angel but who knows. I think angels have their work cut out for them. My husband is teaching our son that there are aliens without concrete proof. This reminds me of this joke:
A little girl asked her mother,
"How did the human race start?"
The mother answered,
"God made Adam and Eve and they had children,
and so all mankind was made."Two days later the girl asked her father the same question. The father answered,
..."Many years ago there were monkeys from which the human race evolved."
The confused girl returned to her mother and said,
"Mom, how is it possible that you told me the human race
was created by God, and Dad said they developed from monkeys?"
The mother answered,
"Well, dear, it is very simple.
...I told you about my side of the family and your father told you about his."

LOL

Good one.  She's not a monkeys aunt.