Poll: Just for fun: do you think we'll finish Scanlon Latin before the Baronius Breviary ships?
This poll is closed.
0%
Yes, we'll be able to finish Scanlon before Baronius ships their Breviary 0%
0%
No, I think Baronius will ship their Breviary before the end of 2011 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Working through Scanlon Latin
w00t! w00t!
Did anyone else also purchase Second Latin?  I did and hopefully I'll be able to both of them - one after the other.

Does anyone else want to plan to jump into Second Latin after we finish the first book?
(03-31-2011, 03:38 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: Did anyone else also purchase Second Latin?  I did and hopefully I'll be able to both of them - one after the other.

Does anyone else want to plan to jump into Second Latin after we finish the first book?

I'm in for 2nd Latin. Personal philosophy: I don't believe in doing things halfway. If imma be a lifelong trad no way I ain't learning tons o Latin. I'd love to delve into the 1917 Canon Law since it ain't available in English online,....
I'm working on the 1st lesson.

Is there really a Second Latin?  I'll worry about that later.  I would be up for a Latin chat after about 9 pm on weekends.  All the kids would be in bed.

BTW, I was checking the book out.  You will be able to read entire sections of the Matthew by lesson 12.
(03-31-2011, 06:21 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: I'm working on the 1st lesson.

Is there really a Second Latin?  I'll worry about that later.  I would be up for a Latin chat after about 9 pm on weekends.  All the kids would be in bed.

BTW, I was checking the book out.  You will be able to read entire sections of the Matthew by lesson 12.

There certainly is a Second Latin!  Smile  The first book covers the missal and breviary, while the second covers the Vulgate and makes theological writings accessible - or something like that, not sure just how deep it would let you go, I figure it's probably more directed at encyclicals, but at the very least it would give us a shot at reading Saint Thomas.  Smile

That chat schedule could work...though I might miss sometimes.  LOL  Would you prefer Fridays or Saturdays?
Well, I already have one chat on Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 so that would be a long time on the computer.  Friday might work better - after 8 pm. 
yeah dont wanna conflict with the FE rosary saturdays at 6 pm pacific going forward
(03-31-2011, 03:38 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: Did anyone else also purchase Second Latin?  I did and hopefully I'll be able to both of them - one after the other.

I have Second Latin.  It is excellent as a reference and for assistance reading advanced Latin.
Congrats to all who have gotten their new breviaries... I'm sure they are beautiful, and a wonderful encouragement! I myself am saving for a good used set of divino afflatu volumes (sans the new psalter, of course!), as well as for an old breviarium monasticum... but will only invest in these when I have made much more progress in learning the latin, and as a kind of reward. I am making wonderful progress only after resigning  myself to the fact that I really have to memorize these declensions, and in making myself do it, and I have made it through chapter 2. I am making sure that I have these down pat, without question, before I proceed to the next chapter, for failure to do so has in the past led to frustration, discouragement, and eventually giving up altogether. Another mistake that has led to me giving up in the past is immersing myself too much in my studies to the point where I become sick of it... I have to patiently pace myself and learn to take a few days off so as to let everything sink in and be thoroughly learned and at the same time taking a break and living life. Benedictine balance. Due to this, and to my life duties, I will probably take a little more than two weeks per chapter. Chapter 2 is quite dense, and I'm sure it doesn't get any easier... I just want to take my time and not hurry and make sure I have it down good before I proceed with learning something new. I really want to accomplish this this time around... being probably my 5th or 6th attempt, and I want to do it right and not half-assed. And most of all, I want to enjoy learning, and not cram it. I don't want to hold the group back, as I know how much we all want this and how we need the support. I've been feeling really good about my approach to learning this time around, and I just have to learn to be patient in my frustrations and in my eagerness.  I pray that this group sticks together and holds up... let's be patient and take a break when we need it. The posts are a big help and encouragement. Prayers for you all!
Thanks paderau!

Baronius may end up beating us by a few months. They probably saw this poll and hurried up.

"The estimated time for the Breviary to be produced and delivered to our warehouse is 3-4 months. We estimate that we will be able to start shipping copies to customers around the beginning of August 2011. God willing, customers should have their copies in time for the Feast of the Assumption.

We will only be accepting pre-orders when the Breviary is ready to be shipped from our printers (approximately six weeks before it is due to arrive in the warehouse). The pre-orders will then be sent out as soon as the title arrives in our warehouse. We have decided not to accept pre-orders any sooner to prevent customers experiencing dissatisfaction and frustration, should unforeseen delays arise with the printing."

http://www.baroniuspress.com/forthcoming...php?wid=12