New Major Archbishop
Oh, and I didn't know y'all were Easterners.  Good to know y'all are here.  :)

I'm surprised you can put up with us Westerners - what with having tables of contents in our prayer books and our angels on the heads of pins.  :laughing:
(03-26-2011, 04:02 PM)m.PR Wrote: Yes, but... why doesn't the Ukrainian immigrant, when he moves to Argentina, go to a regular Argentinian parish? Why must he & clan have a Greek-Ukrainian Catholic parish, with a married priest and all that jazz?

We love our Divine Liturgy. I also feel that Eastern Churches (i.e. Catholic not Orthodox) are another option for those westerners who feel disgusted with the Novus Ordo. Our DL's are very much like the old TLM of the Roman Rite. The congregation faces toward east, Priest faces altar (leading congregation to God), Only men in permanent diaconate are allowed to minister Eucharist, only boys are allowed as acolytes, Feast days observed on actual calender days. I like all that 'jazz' though I am not entirely behind non-monastic married priests. The Priesthood in my diocese are monastic OSBM and not permitted to marry or be married prior (unless widowed)
(03-26-2011, 08:31 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(03-26-2011, 04:02 PM)m.PR Wrote: Yes, but... why doesn't the Ukrainian immigrant, when he moves to Argentina, go to a regular Argentinian parish? Why must he & clan have a Greek-Ukrainian Catholic parish, with a married priest and all that jazz?

We love our Divine Liturgy. I also feel that Eastern Churches (i.e. Catholic not Orthodox) are another option for those westerners who feel disgusted with the Novus Ordo. Our DL's are very much like the old TLM of the Roman Rite. The congregation faces toward east, Priest faces altar (leading congregation to God), Only men in permanent diaconate are allowed to minister Eucharist, only boys are allowed as acolytes, Feast days observed on actual calender days. I like all that 'jazz' though I am not entirely behind non-monastic married priests. The Priesthood in my diocese are monastic OSBM and not permitted to marry or be married prior (unless widowed)

It's important to remember the very real differences between the traditional Roman Rite and the Eastern Rites.  That said, the Eastern Rites have remained traditional (and actually gotten back to their roots more, moving away from the Romanization that had been so prevalent before) which makes them seem so much more Catholic than Westerners (when compared to the Novus Ordo) so it is a great option for people with no access to a TLM who can't stand the Novus Ordo.  :)
Dosent have much to do with married priests since there were none allowed in USA prior to late 1990s, this is still the case among Ruthenian Byzantine Catholics in USA.

And not everyone who is a member of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church is an ethnic Ukrainian, its open to anyone who wants to worship with us

Anywho our Mass (Divine Liturgy) and rituals are very different from the Latin rite Novus Ordo or Tridentine - its identical for the most part with the Greek and Russian Orthodox, we believe its our right to have our traditions practiced and pass it on to our descendants, Rome agrees and the 1595AD treaty that brought the Ukrainian Church into communion with the Apostolic See guarantees our existence and our own bishops

(03-26-2011, 07:47 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: and our angels on the heads of pins.   :laughing:
:D that did make me crack a smile

We believe in Peter and the Catholic Church, our mass martyrdom under communism is witness to our loyalty
Indeed. Orthodoxy is caesaropapist, so they accepted the communist leadership. I also heard commies infiltrated the orthodox episcopate. But only the papists got murdered for the faith. the devil truly knows who to go after.
(03-26-2011, 11:35 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: Indeed. Orthodoxy is caesaropapist, so they accepted the communist leadership. I also heard commies infiltrated the orthodox episcopate. But only the papists got murdered for the faith. the devil truly knows who to go after.
I say this being absolutely not a fan of Russian Orthodoxy but credit is due when credit is due: many thousands of Russian Orthodox suffered and were martyred for Christ and for what they believed was His Church under the Reds - which Im sure you know - anyways, you're right, Stalin had made the Russian Orthodox Church the state religion during WWII, the late Patriarch of Moscow, Alexis II who died 2 or so years ago, was known as Agent Blackbird in the KGB. KGB also helped to get rid of the problem that he was a married man so he could become bishop then patriarch.
To those interested, whether Byzantine or Roman, here is a good video of the coronation proceedings. There is an obvious delay in the sound, and it is in Ukrainian, lol, but the visuals are beautiful. I was fortunate to witness the enthronement of my own Bishop, and the event is much the same. Anyway, here is the URL to copy paste: