Catholic commercials
So, they had a commercial on one of the stations I was watching....I don't know if it was the Red Sox game or the women's basketball game but it was telling people to come back to the Catholic Church. Sounds good right? Well, this woman is saying, "The Church is all about love now. It's not about the rules and regulations like when I was a child. It's all about God's love." I can't help but think that people are converting to a false religion. Isn't this exactly what protestantism teaches? What the Church says doesn't matter, it's just God's love that matters.

While I can't help but think the message was reflecting a disordered idea, in itself, it is not wrong.

It is not about rules and regulations. It is about devotion (love).

However, instead of the false notion of "love" as "do whatever you want", love is what makes us obedient. We do not follow the rules for the rules's sake, but because we accept God's Church.
1 John 5:2 In this we know that we love the children of God: when we love God, and keep his commandments.

So this is a stupid false dichotomy. I can't stand this crap. It's touchy feely nonsense. and yes they're absolutely taking their cues from Protestantism. Evangelicals will say that hate religion. And that their religion is all about having a "relationship" with God. Pie in the sky pablum.

Rules kick ass.

They're trying to say they've replaced legalism with a pure quest for God but theyre throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Saints lived highly regulated and disciplined lives, duh.

Anyways when Paul VI relaxed all those regulations Catholicms crumbled and the people cast off restraint. It wasn't a good thing.

But even the conciliar church insists that contraception, masturbation and failure in Sunday obligation are mortal sins so they are misleading people about this.
Two years ago when they started this campaign I said that they need to fix the problems inside the Church, to re-establish the liturgy and music and orthodox preaching -- then people will be drawn to holiness.  There is no point in advertising, that is just based on shallow emotions and when they come, what do they see?  They see a mess and they are confused.  We need holiness, not advertising.
Are you talking the "Catholics Come Home" commercials? When these first came out, when I was still a newbie trad, I thought these commercials were ok. Then as I thought about it more, they began to irk me. One, I just want to tell everyone on involved in the production of this video, "It's the liturgy, stupid!". The crap liturgy is the reason they left in the first place, not whatever excuse reason these folks give. There may never have been alcohol abuse, or a divorce, had these people been attending the Mass of the Ages. It almost seems these people were emotionally or spiritually broken and looking for acceptance, which is fine I guess, but this commercial reduces the Catholic Church to a community help group or something.

The other thing that drives me nuts is the narration at the end of all these commercials, "If you've been away from the Catholic Church (because of our modernist drivel from the pulpit and our ugly liturgy) we invite you to take another look" I loathe this last line. It puts the Catholic Church in a inferior position, pandering to Catholics who should already know better that the Catholic Church is their home. It's hard to have a charitable attitude when the Church is depicted by catholicscomehome.org as almost groveling to fallen away Catholics, "Oh pretty please come back to Church!! We'll be your BFF!!" But whatever. If people have come back, great. This is just not how I would have done it.

But why would they need to have Catholics to come home when they have all these protestant converts since the spirit of vatican II opened all the stuffy windows of Holy Mother Church to let the springtime flow in.
(03-26-2011, 11:11 PM)Petertherock Wrote: "The Church is all about love now. It's not about the rules and regulations like when I was a child. It's all about God's love."

So much for "continuity" when they look with disdain upon 1900 years of heritage.
(03-26-2011, 11:11 PM)Petertherock Wrote: So, they had a commercial on one of the stations I was watching....I don't know if it was the Red Sox game or the women's basketball game but it was telling people to come back to the Catholic Church. Sounds good right? Well, this woman is saying, "The Church is all about love now. It's not about the rules and regulations like when I was a child. It's all about God's love." I can't help but think that people are converting to a false religion. Isn't this exactly what protestantism teaches? What the Church says doesn't matter, it's just God's love that matters.
Kind of reminds me of the following quote: A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministrations of a Christ without a cross.
--H. Richard Niebuhr
(03-27-2011, 02:22 PM)fatiam13 Wrote: But why would they need to have Catholics to come home when they have all these protestant converts since the spirit of vatican II opened all the stuffy windows of Holy Mother Church to let the springtime flow in.

I wrote to Cardinal Bertone, Vatican Secretary of State, in February telling him I'm a recent convert from Protestantism and yet I prefer the TLM.

He apparently read my letter and had them write me back...

At any rate, the same intellectual openness that led me from protestantism to catholicism also led me to traditional catholicism. you read Michael Davies and attend the TLM and it's all pretty obvious.

[Image: 0dd80f72.jpg]
(03-26-2011, 11:11 PM)Petertherock Wrote: So, they had a commercial on one of the stations I was watching....I don't know if it was the Red Sox game or the women's basketball game but it was telling people to come back to the Catholic Church. Sounds good right? Well, this woman is saying, "The Church is all about love now. It's not about the rules and regulations like when I was a child. It's all about God's love." I can't help but think that people are converting to a false religion. Isn't this exactly what protestantism teaches? What the Church says doesn't matter, it's just God's love that matters.

I don't think that was the intent of the commercial though I really can understand why one would look at that way. I think what he meant to say is that he did not know the "reasons" for the rules and regulations and things like that.