This Fr. Z post made my "fraud radar" go off Fr. Z manipulates the Pope
(03-29-2011, 12:30 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(03-29-2011, 10:13 AM)Augstine Baker Wrote: Cardinal Ratzinger used to be in the news all the time as head of CDF, very clearly the captain of the ship.  The one time I hear about ++Levada, and it's because he's getting slapped down by his boss for trying to make an end run on him.

And I don't think for a moment that Cardinal Burke would be permitted to be as vociferous as he's being without a nod from the top.  After all, it was Burke who took Cardinal Kasper [another sidestepped curial member] for his irresponsible behavior and attempted sabotage of the Anglican Ordinariate.   I've noticed since then that Cardinal Kasper has been saying many things uncharacteristic of an Old Liberal who was described by one priest in Germany as a cancer of the Church.

I'm mystified by the Beatification of JP II and the new Assisssi debacle as well as the Beatification of the fruity Cardinal Newman, but there it is... there's a lot of other stuff happening too.

I'm saying that what you are describing is simply a narrative and not indicative of actual events.   Levada is a liberal playing the role of a heavy for traditionalists.  He is a liberal but he's not a "heavy" because the Holy Father wants him to be portrayed as a heavy getting slapped down by him. 

Just as Burke is considered a firebrand (by conservative standards) but he's basically a lot of talk with no  power to back it up.   If you had Burke as head of CDF and he actually walked the talk, I might think there is some real resistance to the progressive agenda. 

But I think it's more likely that Fr. Z, Levada and the Holy Father are providing form of media relations, and theater in order to manipulate trads and gain more confidence about their plans for the Church than trads would normally be wiling to give. JPII was the liberal Pope that convinced the conservatives that he was conservative,  B16 is the liberal Pope trying to convince trads that he's a trad at heart.  Both of them did it by allowing crazy liberal actions, talking conservative  talk and doing nothing to actually reverse the trends in the Church.

I guess after forty years of crying out in the wilderness while the church tried to ignore them, they're realizing the "problem" isn't going away.

Can you at least appreciate that we're in a strangely dissonant position of having to believe in the Church while assuming that Churchmen are acting in bad faith?

Messages In This Thread
Re: This Fr. Z post made my "fraud radar" go off Fr. Z manipulates the Pope - by Augstine Baker - 03-29-2011, 12:53 PM