Anybody Make Their Own Almond Milk?
As a continuation of the fake milk thread...

I followed that link for making your own nut milk http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2010/08/do-nu...-alt-milk/ (thanks, Paloma!) and made a batch of almond milk this morning.  It was incredibly nasty. I had envisioned adding it to coffee, oatmeal, maybe cocoa, and having various nutty-tasting treats, but yuck!  What do you guys add to your almond milk to make it tastier? I'm thinking I probably would have been better off with a bottle of almond extract!  :laughing:

I make almond milk a few times a year. I typically add a touch of either honey or agave nectar to bring out the natural sweetness of the almonds.  I've also found that the brand of raw almonds makes a big difference, as does a long pre-soak of the almonds. (Don't forget filtered water too).

I typically blend it up in a blender instead of  using a food processor.

I've never thought of almond milk being particularly amazing, but it is good to drink and good for cold cereal applications.  Not to mention it does taste better than the boxed shelf-stable almond milks.

The nut meal is fun to experiment with, as you can make a fun creamy style salad dressing with it--or you can add it to a muffin recipe--or compost it.
Thanks for the reply!  Would storing the nuts in the freezer (vacuum packed) for a long time affect the flavor?  I'm thinking I probably should have bought some fresh almonds at the start.  I tried mixing a little sugar into a small amount, but it was still gross. Is it an acquired taste, do you think?  I guess using roasted almonds is out of the question, right? The recipe I followed was pretty specific about the almonds being raw...
Freezing nuts seems to be a fine idea, but all things can succumb to freezer death if kept in there too long. 

I think even the almonds that are labeled raw are actually somewhat heated or pasteurized to kill potential pathogens. They are just not cooked to the point of being brittle and toasty flavored.

I think almond milk might be an acquired taste to an extent. I find it neutral tasting almost to the extent of it being near-flavorless when used with cereals. 

Perhaps try it again with some fresh almonds. If you use white sugar to sweeten it, the milk might become too sweet masking the hints of almond flavor. Maybe try using honey or another natural liquid sweetener. 

If you're into smoothies it might be good to use almond milk as the liquid in a banana based smoothie. You can get the nutrition of the almond milk without tasting it directly.

Thanks so much! I don't think I'll try making it again just yet, but I might try buying some to see if the mass-produced stuff tastes any better.  :)
(04-07-2011, 04:05 PM)Deidre Wrote: Thanks so much! I don't think I'll try making it again just yet, but I might try buying some to see if the mass-produced stuff tastes any better.  :)

I prefer the Silk brand.