Bishop Williamson: Now where?
I agree C.C.  - is it wrong to think that its really just not our responsibility. We are called to believe and follow. Thats it.
If the Church goes off at strange tangents whats that to me. Its Our Lords Church  - if the shepherds fall into powerful delusions whats that to me.
Would he judge us for the failings of the people he has put in charge.
Everything wil be fudged abt. SSPX  - not from their side I think but there will be this tremendous pressure from Rome to bring them back on board without of course conceeding their points.
+ Bshp. W. missed a great chance to say something reasoned and diplomatic abt. the perversion of history thats going on. He made himself look as though he is ill informed and doesn't research in an area where thousands of books have been writtenand when he is in Catholic teaching and other areas simply an unparalled expositor.
His view is that its not Hegel thats in the Holy Fathers mind but Kant.
Hegel is dialectical struggle the politicians favourite - thesis, woman have aright to choose, antithesis, there are these backstreet abortionists, thesis, and resolution lets have front street abortions in clean and comfortable clinics.
Kant denies external reality all together - everything is just in my mind including God, there is nothing out there. Where does God come from  - from inside me so the divine is just a product of me, I am divine and because I'm sick and diseased inside then God must be.
Pascendi - Pius X in a nutshell and the modern world.
(04-03-2011, 05:58 AM)Bminor Mass Wrote: I agree C.C.  - is it wrong to think that its really just not our responsibility. We are called to believe and follow. Thats it.
If the Church goes off at strange tangents whats that to me. Its Our Lords Church  - if the shepherds fall into powerful delusions whats that to me.
Would he judge us for the failings of the people he has put in charge.
Everything wil be fudged abt. SSPX  - not from their side I think but there will be this tremendous pressure from Rome to bring them back on board without of course conceeding their points.
+ Bshp. W. missed a great chance to say something reasoned and diplomatic abt. the perversion of history thats going on. He made himself look as though he is ill informed and doesn't research in an area where thousands of books have been writtenand when he is in Catholic teaching and other areas simply an unparalled expositor.
His view is that its not Hegel thats in the Holy Fathers mind but Kant.
Hegel is dialectical struggle the politicians favourite - thesis, woman have aright to choose, antithesis, there are these backstreet abortionists, thesis, and resolution lets have front street abortions in clean and comfortable clinics.
Kant denies external reality all together - everything is just in my mind including God, there is nothing out there. Where does God come from  - from inside me so the divine is just a product of me, I am divine and because I'm sick and diseased inside then God must be.
Pascendi - Pius X in a nutshell and the modern world.

That isn't exactly an accurate description of Kant's philosophy.  Kant doesn't deny external reality; he denies its cognizability in itself. 

Kant and Hegel, however, are both indeed spectres over the modern world and its thinking.
But Kant does deny external reality - hes really incredibly dishonest because he says yeh sure there may well be somthing out there but

1. We cant access it

2. So nothing can be said abt it.

if we cant say anything abt it it might as well not exist.
Think abt it - what kind of reality could possibly exist that we dont even have the faintest inkling of with our highest faculty of our mental powers.
Its literally unthinkable but you know Kant says there just might be something there. Even to an atheist God is thinkable and on any definition he must be the greatest thing thinkable but Kant says no while I accept there may be a God thats a personal feeling of mine and not something I can think. The guy was just certifiable. But he has been the one many say behind the thinking of V2. What did he think he was eating in the morning fresh air. Satirized by Shakespeare in Hamlet where he says ' I eat the air promise crammed.' So the bard knew a few con artists and snake oil salesmen in his time.
People like Kant really hated scholasticism but they couldn't meet St. Thomas Aquinas who said God can be known through reason and the mind and so they just ignored him.
Kantianism is so barren, so lonely, so awful - and its the creed of our age and of the guy who walks down the street.

Quote: His view is that its not Hegel thats in the Holy Fathers mind but Kant. 

Interesting.  Ayn Rand also said that the cause of the downfall in the West was Kant.  It's too bad she never converted.
(04-03-2011, 05:36 PM)James02 Wrote: Interesting.  Ayn Rand also said that the cause of the downfall in the West was Kant.  It's too bad she never converted.

I remember seeing an interview with her where she referred to Aquinas as a "witch-doctor." 
Ayn Rand  - ugh.
Once tried reading Atlas Shrugged  - it wasn't a novel more a kind of fascist tract. Idolizing the great and shining ones who invent things and we should all grovel. Dreadful rubbish.
Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates himself was permanently pissed

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink therefore I am"

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed
and there was the M.Python philosophers socccer team -  Socrates in goal, Nietzcshe centre forward, Plato on the wing, descates and Mill the backs.
everytime the ball came near them they wouldn't touch it because they doubted it existed.