High anxiety and/or panic attacks?
Thank you VERY much for both posts, Quis!  :)
Hi Laura, glad you're doing so well!!    I often hear stuff like this, and I always tell people the same thing:  your doctor would want to know about this ASAP.  It's important.  I know you've probably had enough of doctors for awhile, but please do call.  This is why they pay big bucks for those answering services, right?  This could just be the meds, and they can deal with that easily.  Also,  you have to rest.  Visitors are great, but make sure you don't get too tired. 
(04-03-2011, 06:16 PM)frerejacques Wrote: Hi Laura, glad you're doing so well!!    I often hear stuff like this, and I always tell people the same thing:  your doctor would want to know about this ASAP.   It's important.  I know you've probably had enough of doctors for awhile, but please do call.   This is why they pay big bucks for those answering services, right?   This could just be the meds, and they can deal with that easily.  Also,  you have to rest.   Visitors are great, but make sure you don't get too tired.  

Ditto to this.  Also, like Quis said - Brown scapular is good.  I've had panic/anxiety attacks for a lotta years.  Prayer is good-my rosary always helps.
Afer what you have just been through this isn't surprising.

Along with asking about the meds you are currently on, you may want to ask about meds they had you on when you were in ICU and intubated. It is likely they had you on some pretty heavy sedatives, possibly benzodiazepines (Valium, Ativan etc...) and what you are experiencing could actually be a little withdrawal.
(04-03-2011, 04:05 PM)Satori Wrote: How do you know if you're having a panic attack? In February I called an ambulance in the middle of the night, convinced I was having a heart attack, but the doctors found nothing, nothing, nothing wrong with my heart. Does a panic attack ever present mainly as wildly pounding heartbeat and a feeling of restlessness?

That'spretty much the definition of a panic attack.I tried explaining what panic attacks felt like to my mil like this:

You know that feeling right after you narrowly avoid a car accident? The pounding heart, the fear, the flushed tingling face? Now extend that feeling for a LOT longer and with no apparent cause. *THAT* is a panic attack.
(04-03-2011, 06:54 PM)mom Wrote:
(04-03-2011, 04:05 PM)Satori Wrote: How do you know if you're having a panic attack? In February I called an ambulance in the middle of the night, convinced I was having a heart attack, but the doctors found nothing, nothing, nothing wrong with my heart. Does a panic attack ever present mainly as wildly pounding heartbeat and a feeling of restlessness?

That'spretty much the definition of a panic attack.I tried explaining what panic attacks felt like to my mil like this:

You know that feeling right after you narrowly avoid a car accident? The pounding heart, the fear, the flushed tingling face? Now extend that feeling for a LOT longer and with no apparent cause. *THAT* is a panic attack.

But I've had those feelings a lot and I couldn't say there was NO cause -- they always come when either I'm under a lot of stress or I have a lot to do the next day.
I get panic attacks, often when I'm driving, and almost always in church, when I'm waiting in line for communion. I have even had to go to the hospital, couldn't breathe. A panic attack feels like your dying... I don't know how else to explain it, like claustrophobic and terror. I have anxiety about %70 of the day, it's just a constant knot in your stomach. I'm always worked up but I don't know why. Makes me twitch and fidget a lot.
I am prone to anxiety attacks and have to keep a strict watch on my stress levels to keep them in check. I also have to take low dose zoloft and cut back on caffeine content. Like Canadian Catholic, I use to get them while driving in traffic jams. I still have mild anxiety, but its in check. Panic/anxiety attacks are a pretty common condition. They are scary, but they can't hurt you. Just ask the doctor for advice on help and/or medicine to treat it. 
(04-03-2011, 07:55 PM)Satori Wrote:
(04-03-2011, 06:54 PM)mom Wrote:

But I've had those feelings a lot and I couldn't say there was NO cause -- they always come when either I'm under a lot of stress or I have a lot to do the next day.

Pardon my poor explaniation. When I mean no cause, I mean no miss car accident, no real illness, nothing to directly cause the racing heart, cold sweat, feeling of dread. Stress is probably the number one trigger of panic attacks.
I have issues with anxiety as well. While I don't often have panic attacks (I can think of one full-blown panic attack in the last 5 years), high levels of anxiety have contributed to/are related to the digestive issue that I have (anyone can PM me if they want the gory details--it's just too gross to post publicly). Usually I start feeling panicky in the car or when I'm somewhere where I can't make a quick escape if I need to. I'm usually able to feel my anxiety levels rising, though, so before they get out of hand, I take some deep breaths and say as many Hail Marys as I can until I either calm down or am able to get out of the car. I also take a very low dose anti-depressant (10mg/day) that helps me deal with the physical pain that often contributes to my increased anxiety levels. I guess my point is that the only way I've figured out to avoid totally losing it when I feel anxious is to take control of the situation and calm myself down before the anxiety takes control of me. I've also been able to decrease one of the stressors that can cause anxiety, so, of course, that helps.