High anxiety and/or panic attacks?
Oh, I got them for the same reasons you did.  A medical issue.  To make a long story short, I had a disc problem in my back but the symptoms were not normal.  For 9 months I was in tons of pain; they did MRIs, I went to a neurologist, all kinds of experts, nothing.  No one knew what I had and there was no relief from the pain.  Not knowing what was wrong with me led me to think MS and all kinds of other things.  That led to panic attacks, and once you have them you are more susceptible to them in the future.  It's like a switch flips or something, I dunno.

I switched doctors who figured out my problem, but he also recognized I was having panic attacks (the other docs didn't know or care) and he put me on Paxil.  For all the bad things people say about it, it worked for me.  It made life liveable again.  Getting off of it was another story - SSRI withdrawal is some of the worst withdrawal one can go through, worse than opiates in a lot of ways.

I agree, you're probably having some PTSD stuff going on now that you're home and things are calmer and your mind can process.

I'm not big on taking meds I don't need, but don't be afraid to talk to the doc if things get worse.  He may give you an SSRI, he may not.  But, don't sit there and suffer this if it gets worse.  Hopefully, it will naturally subside as your life returns to normal.  But if not, please talk to your doc.  I know firsthand how much an SSRI can help if you really need it, and I did.

Otherwise, just try to relax and realize it will take a bit of time for normalcy to return and also for you to feel normal.  Oh, another reason to talk to your doc is whatever meds you're on may be presenting a side-effect.  A lot of times you just have to live with those, but you should talk to the doc to make sure it's not an adverse reaction.

Eh, all of that to say  "talk to your doc"  :laughing:

Messages In This Thread
Re: High anxiety and/or panic attacks? - by Pheo - 04-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Re: High anxiety and/or panic attacks? - by Historian - 04-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Re: High anxiety and/or panic attacks? - by Joamy - 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Re: High anxiety and/or panic attacks? - by mom - 04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Re: High anxiety and/or panic attacks? - by mom - 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Re: High anxiety and/or panic attacks? - by mom - 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM