Puritan Catholics?
(04-04-2011, 11:29 PM)Gerard Wrote: We also don't have Puritanical saints as patrons of somberness, moroseness and unjust judgment. 

It would be impossible for the Catholic Church to have saints who are Puritan. I never once proposed unjust judgment. There must be a balance of solemnity and sobriety, with festivity and joy. I feel that the balance requires more weight from the former.

Quote: They are more than permissible, they are good things. You also can't indulge in an exaggerated sense of "rebuking the sinner" when a spiritual work of mercy is abused into a matter of pride. 

Could we not then say that all acts of the will are essentially good as long as they are done moderately, so as not to idolize them?

Quote:That carries into my point. Asceticism is not immune from abuse. 

How so? Over-scrupulosity to the point of pride, like the pharisee in the front of the temple?

Quote: Be careful doing that.  Of ugly ducklings, beautiful swans can be made.

Be careful over-encouraging, for ugly ducklings usually end up ugly.

Quote: I don't think it will be symbolic wine, but actual wine in a glorified form.  

In a glorified form, do our bodies need any form of physical sustenance; glorified or unglorified? I believe that our glorified bodies will only drink of the spiritual and pure glory of the vision of God.

Quote: Abandoning of doubt in the goodness of God is the model child. Also,a childlike understanding like Abraham had when told to sacrifice Isaac.  He doesn't see how God will keep his promise, but he knows God will keep it somehow. 

My point exactly. That is the childishness that we must believe with.

Quote: Was the Rosary bouquet offered to the Holy Father by the SSPX a childlike act in its direct simplicity or was it childish? 

I don't know what you are referencing. My qualm was with your word use. You said "childlike (not childish)" when in fact 'ish' means like. so childish and childlike are the same meaning in a different form. I was just asking for better explanation.

Quote: As I pointed out, we are on the same page with this, but just as there can be an overindulgence with "play" there can be an overindulgence in a perceived "solemnity" that leaves no room for play and even makes enemies of play.  It's not dissimilar to God raising up St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Bonaventure to remedy the overindulgence of the Franciscans and their "anti-intellectualism"

'I say potato you say potato' as long as we are talking about the same vegetable