Now hotmail hates us
(04-04-2011, 12:51 PM)laurabookworm Wrote: I have a very, very old Gmail account that I use for the forum, for businesses, work related stuff, things I'm subscribed to, like e-zines etc etc.... mostly because Gmail doesn't have the filter issues, and because I don't actually care for the way Gmail organizes email conversations into long threads.
Go to "Settings" (upper left), in the "General" settings tab, change "Conversation View" to "Off".
Rosarium, you should write a  book showing people how to get off the MSFT / Apple crack and get the same benefits out of FOSS.  I think most people just never realize they can do many of the same things, often times better.
Rosie I could write a book endorsement for you. Although I did try Ubuntu on my PC with the 7 year old and the iPhone wouldn't tether and we were unable to create a user account for him when prompted. Go Ubuntu!
(04-04-2011, 01:30 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Rosarium, you should write a  book showing people how to get off the MSFT / Apple crack and get the same benefits out of FOSS.  I think most people just never realize they can do many of the same things, often times better.

I'm, sort of, writing a book like thingy called "A Computer Is Like A Car: Getting Things Done and Saving Money on Your Computer". It is for the smart people who turn into idiots when it comes to their computer. I know many skilled, intelligent people who turn into total morons when they deal with their computer, so the goal of this is to help undo some of the stupidity that is sold by OEMs (this is where the blame rests, the OEMs rely on users being stupid). The goal of it is to enable people who don't want to know a lot about computers to know enough to make decisions about them intelligently.

Maybe when I'm done with that, I will go into the "Know Your Options" book subject, but a problem with that is with the idea of entitlement. To many people come into the free world with demands. I always tell them to ask for their money back. Firefox sucks (the last time I tried it), so I use Opera (and then Opera sucked, then I used Google Chrome, then I didn't like Google in my browser, so I used Chromium, and then Opera get un-sucked, so I am back to Opera) instead of complaining too much about Fx, which really, is only an option to use like all the rest.

Opera is not free though, so it is not blind ideology either. It is using what works with knowledge of the options. Windows is an option, there are reasons to use it, but most people do not actually choose to use it. I don't really see a reason to use OS X...I am unaware of anything it offers so exclusively that makes it worth the cost of the hardware you allowed to use it on.

(04-04-2011, 01:02 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-04-2011, 12:51 PM)laurabookworm Wrote: I have a very, very old Gmail account that I use for the forum, for businesses, work related stuff, things I'm subscribed to, like e-zines etc etc.... mostly because Gmail doesn't have the filter issues, and because I don't actually care for the way Gmail organizes email conversations into long threads.
Go to "Settings" (upper left), in the "General" settings tab, change "Conversation View" to "Off".

I've told her. And told her. And come to the conclusion she's either stubborn and just wont make the leap for some unknown reason  :P or still just doesn't like Gmail. Dude, Gmail rocks. I love it.
Gmail is not user-friendly. Hotmail forever!
(04-04-2011, 05:27 PM)piabee Wrote: Gmail is not user-friendly. Hotmail forever!

Heresy, I say! Heresy! :laughing: I've used GMail exclusively since I was invited by a friend (after I failed in the draw for the original accounts) in the early beta days. I love it!
(04-04-2011, 05:54 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Gmail ftw!
[Image: gmail_love.jpg]

AMEN!
(04-04-2011, 05:27 PM)piabee Wrote: Gmail is not user-friendly. Hotmail forever!

Gmail does not send me spam. Also, it has learned what I care about, and now gives them priority (Priority Inbox)!

(04-04-2011, 06:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

Gmail does not send me spam. Also, it has learned what I care about, and now gives them priority (Priority Inbox)!

Priority Inbox cares.  It loves you more than any other inbox could.