Poll: True or False
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Medjugorje
(04-10-2011, 07:57 PM)Pheo Wrote: Whoa still 100%.  Unanimous consent of the FEers.

Just when I was getting depressed by all the infighting, a consensus!
(04-11-2011, 08:12 AM)Satori Wrote:
(04-10-2011, 07:57 PM)Pheo Wrote: Whoa still 100%.  Unanimous consent of the FEers.

Just when I was getting depressed by all the infighting, a consensus!

Nothing brings people together like opposition to a false apparition of Our Lady.
(04-11-2011, 12:47 PM)verenaerin Wrote:the enemy of my enemy is my friend...

Isn't that sad?

I spent a lot of time as a Medjugorje devotee. It all started when I watched 20/20 on the subject, around 1989 or so. Wonder if I can find it on Youtube? At any rate, at the time, I thought I was your everyday good Catholic, or put differently, I went to Mass every Sunday, and occasionally served. That's it. Didn't practice any devotionals, recited the Rosary only once to my recollection for a cousin who had pacreatitis and went into a coma. He is alive and well, for the record. But that was commonplace activity for a 'practicing Catholic' for someone my age, where I lived, at that time.

The 20/20 report lent a huge amount of credibility to it. And back then, there was no existing contrary evidence that put it all in a bad light. No internet to quickly fact check and study the phenomana with the latest data. It all seemed very much on the up and up. It was a bolt of lighting for me. Heavenly figures such as Jesus and the Blessed Virgin, I admit, were very distant to me, not at all so accessible, so in tune with our human preoccupations. I knew they loved us and wanted us to be good and pray for others etc, but I remember being in a state of shock, hearing and reading actual words...sentences being spoken by Our Lady, here and now, in the present. It was an exhilirating thought. I soon became absorbed in it. Got the Wayne Weible book, and became a Medjugorje evangelist. I never went to Medjugorje, nor ever became nutty like the 'Mama Medjugorje' apologist, but I was heavily involved.

For me, one of the other factors that made it so believeable for me was one of the 'secrets' conveyed to the visionaries that Yugoslavia would erupt into civil war, which it did. What I naively did not realize though was that the average Yugoslav at the time, even mildly paying attention to events in their own country, could have predicted the same. Come to think of it, that was the only secret with a shred of plausibility, the others were vague enough to never be proven I guess.

I realized in time it wasn't Medjugorje itself, just the reality of Our Lady visiting Earth and appearing to people, that made everything 'alive'. Fatima or Lourdes, had I been eductated about it, probably would have had same effect.

I have to be honest though, I suppose you could say I was a little on the fence about Medjugorje up until around 2008, when I read an article posted on Fisheaters that linked to several websites that covered many indiscretions by priests and visionaries alike, as well as facts and figures around the cracking tourist boom industry it provided (and on a purely amoral level, who can blame them? Wealthy Americans with money to burn in a Croatian town with not much else going on and in a country trying to get back on it's feet after communist dictator Tito? Sho nuff they're gonna soak up them benjis!) It fell off my radar probably around 1997 or so, but I never completely disbelieved it until 2008. Anyhow, that's my rambling experience with Medjugorje.

Yes, of course Youtube has the 20/20 report. Duh.
(04-11-2011, 01:30 PM)Beatissima Mariae Wrote: I spent a lot of time as a Medjugorje devotee. It all started when I watched 20/20 on the subject, around 1989 or so. Wonder if I can find it on Youtube?
Sho nuff they're gonna soak up them benjis!) It fell off my radar probably around 1997 or so, but I never completely disbelieved it until 2008. Anyhow, that's my rambling experience with Medjugorje.

Beatissima,

Thanks for sharing that.  I had a similar experience with apparitional devotion after reading Janice Connell's "Meetings with Mary", which included info on most all "apparitions" approved, not (yet) approved, and not judged worthy of belief.  That book was a turning point (one of many) for my life.  We started Wednesday & Friday bread and water fasting year round in our house from the suggestion of "Our Lady" at Medjugorje.  It was quite difficult, and we stopped after a couple of years.  My own reaction to the Medjugorje phenomenon came really from poor formation and spiritual immaturity.  However, with continued prayer and seeking, He even seems to be using even the errors and shortcomings of those times to my advantage and His. 
(04-09-2011, 01:52 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: Many members of my family are completely zealous for the medjugore apparitions. Whenever I try to discuss the issue, they almost get hostile, as if I were blaspheming the Lord Himself.

One of many reasons I'm convinced it's satanic. In the case of approved apparitions, without exception, the response of devotees to those who doubted was along the lines of Acts 5:39. In Medjugore's case doubters are accused of blasphemy at the least and threatened with death in the worst case. E. Michael Jones did an expose of the satanic fraud and he received numerous death threats.
Quote: E. Michael Jones did an expose of the satanic fraud and he received numerous death threats.

That's true, he did.  I have the issues of Fidelity that the letters threatening him were published.  Very impressive. ::)
Proof of deception:

Check out her explanation at the end.
(04-11-2011, 06:16 PM)damooster Wrote: Proof of deception:

Check out her explanation at the end.

Ahaha wow, not that I needed any more proof but...what a sad explanation.
"To stop the Virgin from dropping the Infant Jesus"...

Besides being ridiculous, it's also blasphemous.