Corsets?
Should women, especially Trad women, wear corsets?

Why or why not?
Do you mean as a supportive undergarment? Because technology has progressed.
(04-12-2011, 03:06 AM)piabee Wrote: Do you mean as a supportive undergarment? Because technology has progressed.

Right, we have waterboarding to torture people now.

(04-12-2011, 03:33 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-12-2011, 03:06 AM)piabee Wrote: Do you mean as a supportive undergarment? Because technology has progressed.

:laughing:
(04-12-2011, 03:35 AM)Joshua Wrote:

:laughing:  But seriously!  That stuff permanently moved internal organs.  Not the "decorative" bedroom-wear, of course, I'm referring to the real corsets with bone and metal.  People think women were getting the "vapors" because they're the "fairer sex" but it was usually (seriously!) because of corsets binding them so tight they couldn't take deep enough breaths.

I mean, I find them to make a form that is visually appealing, but I think they're horrible things.  When you think about it, it's the equivalent of foot binding in the East almost.  I would never want a woman to damage her body over looks or fashion.  It's ridiculous.
QuisUtDeus Wrote::laughing:  But seriously!  That stuff permanently moved internal organs.  Not the "decorative" bedroom-wear, of course, I'm referring to the real corsets with bone and metal.  People think women were getting the "vapors" because they're the "fairer sex" but it was usually (seriously!) because of corsets binding them so tight they couldn't take deep enough breaths.

I mean, I find them to make a form that is visually appealing, but I think they're horrible things.  When you think about it, it's the equivalent of foot binding in the East almost.  I would never want a woman to damage her body over looks or fashion.  It's ridiculous.

I agree. It is truly a form of bodily mutilation for the sake of attaining an unnatural ideal of beauty. The comparison to foot-binding is spot on and can also be compared to the practice of "neck rings" done by the Kayan people of Thailand.

Regardless, if women start wearing corsets, do we get to start wearing codpieces again?
(04-12-2011, 04:21 AM)Joshua Wrote: Regardless, if women start wearing corsets, do we get to start wearing codpieces again?

:idea: Why do we have to wait for them to start wearing corsets?  In fact, I'll wear a codpiece to work tomorrow.
(04-12-2011, 05:27 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-12-2011, 04:21 AM)Joshua Wrote: Regardless, if women start wearing corsets, do we get to start wearing codpieces again?

:idea: Why do we have to wait for them to start wearing corsets?  In fact, I'll wear a codpiece to work tomorrow.

Yes! I'll be sure to stop by Hobby Lobby for some metallic damask, some glue and then off to Sports Authority for a jockstrap. In fact I suggest you wear one to the interview you mentioned in your prayer thread. A friendly and casual greeting of, "How's it hangin'?" will surely seal the deal.

... Ok. I'm done.  ;D
(04-12-2011, 03:45 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-12-2011, 03:35 AM)Joshua Wrote:

:laughing:  But seriously!  That stuff permanently moved internal organs.  Not the "decorative" bedroom-wear, of course, I'm referring to the real corsets with bone and metal.  People think women were getting the "vapors" because they're the "fairer sex" but it was usually (seriously!) because of corsets binding them so tight they couldn't take deep enough breaths.

In the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, Elizabeth Swann commented, "Well, women in England must've learned not to breathe," when putting on a corset and later on said to a pirate, "You want to know pain?  Try wearing a corset."
(04-12-2011, 05:27 AM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:

I'll be a rebel...I'll skip the cod piece.

About the OP, the Church does not require them, so Catholic women are not bound (see what I did there?) to wear them or not.