Corsets?
Guys and gals, the whole article was satire. "The Pleasant Times" is a blog run by what I presume is a seamstress and a Victoriana enthusiast, based on the articles, links and shared recipes. Come on, people.

"Sewing a small project is more fun for me than sewing clothing, but I enjoy dressing 200 years out of fashion, when I can manage it."
(04-14-2011, 08:10 PM)Deidre Wrote: Corsets...for me, I don't really see the point, since I don't wear the kind of clothes that would require a smaller waist: I'm already built on the small side. Now, something to improve posture, without squeezing my organs out of place and making me shorter of breath than I already am (thanks, humidity), would be appreciated. ;) As for heels, I prefer boots with 1-2.5" heels.  More practical and comfortable, in my experience.

that is what I like about Regency era stays.  You can put more cording into it, and bones, if you want the sucked-in thing.  The busk along the front actually requires good posture.  It's hard to stoop when you have a piece of wood down your front.
(04-13-2011, 10:16 PM)Satori Wrote: Flat shoes are uncomfortable.

Not when you could break an anke in a 1  inch heel (and I probably could.)
For those (esp Quis) who are anti-corset for their daughters -- does this include "one-off" sorts of things like Civil War Reinactments, etc?  FYI, most ladies who participate in that stuff don't take off more than 3-4 inches, which some ladies can achieve with Spanx.

As far as pounds of pressure -- I've had a rottweiler fall asleep on my chest.  I've also worn a corset.  The rottie hurt, the corset didn't.  :p  Now, granted, I wasn't tight lacing.  But even 20 pounds of pressure is just like a fat cat on your lap -- not a huge deal for an adult human.  ;D
I hate to agree with Rosarium, but I'll just take exercise and leave all the squeezing contraptions (modern or old), thank you  :laughing:
(04-17-2011, 06:54 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: For those (esp Quis) who are anti-corset for their daughters -- does this include "one-off" sorts of things like Civil War Reinactments, etc?  FYI, most ladies who participate in that stuff don't take off more than 3-4 inches, which some ladies can achieve with Spanx.

No, like I said, I'd squeeze into one for a few hours (that would be a sight, let me tell you).  I'm talking about constant wear as part of a wardrobe.  Constant wear means continually cinching it down, and while tight-lacing is the worst, it seems to me from what I've read even looser laces have negative effects.
(04-16-2011, 02:59 PM)St. Drogo Wrote: Um St.Cecilia, you do know that m.PR was ridiculing The Pleasant Times article, right?

Ooops...sorry. I must have misunderstood.

Carry on.  :)
(04-17-2011, 12:59 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 06:54 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: For those (esp Quis) who are anti-corset for their daughters -- does this include "one-off" sorts of things like Civil War Reinactments, etc?  FYI, most ladies who participate in that stuff don't take off more than 3-4 inches, which some ladies can achieve with Spanx.

No, like I said, I'd squeeze into one for a few hours (that would be a sight, let me tell you).  I'm talking about constant wear as part of a wardrobe.  Constant wear means continually cinching it down, and while tight-lacing is the worst, it seems to me from what I've read even looser laces have negative effects.

Ahhh okay good then.  :p  Because costumes can be very, very fun.  :)
(04-19-2011, 12:32 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 12:59 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:

Ahhh okay good then.  :p  Because costumes can be very, very fun.  :)

Sure.  I may be a grump, but I'm not a wet blanket.  Most days.  ;)