Is Rap and Metal compatible with being Catholic?
Maybe the question that needs to be asked is whether it is compatible with developing an interior life, and the answer is a resounding NO!

(04-13-2011, 08:17 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

What if there's nothing wrong with the lyrics?
Issue 1:  I don't listen to music that has suggestive lyrics, to whatever degree.  One reason is that I think it does have more of an impact on us than we think (no, it doesn't make us kill but I think it can prod us to adopt certain attitudes that are negative.) and the other is that even if I don't take the same message that the artist intended I don't like to support songs that have inappropriate (whatever that means) messages.

I think that the best method is to only listen to positive music, or at least instrumental music.  I listen to a fair amount of instrumentals and while it can be creepy or depressing it works more on probing a persons creative juices and negative lyrics about killing or being depressed.

Issue 2:  I'm not a fan of any Christian music that isn't the mass or chant.  Never have been.  I can't take it seriously when some blonde surfer dude is yelling "God's cool, ya dig?  Get your Jesus on!"

Uh-huh.  Not a fan.  It seems to trivialize the almighty.  I can't quite explain it but I'm just not a fan at all.

I'm a BIG fan of hip hop.  Like any other genre, you have to judge it by merit of song by song.  There's plenty of any genre that is despicable, the genre itself can't be labeled as being incompatable with Christianity.  Partuclarly mainstream hip hop is polluted with loads of messages that condone promiscuity drunkeness and drugs.  But there's a hell of a lot of stuff out there thats a real treat to listen to.

As for metal, thats a different story mainly because I've stayed away from it mostly.  I have listened to some but mostly just really underground stuff that isn't really metal but more noise core stuff.  A bunch of untuned instruments played at ridiculously high levels. 

In case anyones interested, here's a couple of great hip hop songs that don't have the usual garbage.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpP-8tJ-9Js
[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBt8QVHzhkc
[/video]
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(04-13-2011, 08:42 PM)Lavalliere Wrote: Maybe the question that needs to be asked is whether it is compatible with developing an interior life, and the answer is a resounding NO!

I disagree.  Music can be a great distraction and a creative outlet and if it isn't unhealthy it can have a positive impact on person.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
The Church has stated clearly in terms of liturgical music that sacred music should remain separate from the profane.  It's not a leap of logic to say that the profane should not address the sacred and drag it down.

As far as listening to rap and metal, listening to profane music in and of itself has never been universally prohibited by the Church.  Common sense and Catholic values would cause us to avoid some rap and metal due to lyrics, but any "inherent sinfulness" seen in the forms of music is really wishful thinking.

Sure, you can make a theological argument against it, just as some make a theological argument against eating red meat, but the Church has never universally prohibited any form of secular music.  We can't hold others to stricter rules than the Church does.  It doesn't work that way.  :shrug:
(04-13-2011, 08:17 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: I mean both secular rap & metal AND religious Rap and metal. 

Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

How do you avoid absorbing the lyrics? Well if I hear a rap song that is saying stuff about going out and having sex with random girls, I know that action is sinful so I don't do it. And I wouldn't worry about subconsciously absorbing the bad lyrics. If your morals are in check, your actions won't change. And if all else fails...pray a rosary?
(04-13-2011, 08:42 PM)Lavalliere Wrote: Maybe the question that needs to be asked is whether it is compatible with developing an interior life, and the answer is a resounding NO!

Maybe that's the question you would like to ask so the answer goes your way.

Computers aren't compatible with an interior life either, so get off the ciphering machine.  :shrug:
(04-13-2011, 08:17 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: I mean both secular rap & metal AND religious Rap and metal. 

Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

In my opinion, there is more to it than just the lyrics. The lyrical medium is very significant.

Quote:Issue 2: Regarding  Religious  Rap and Metal: How is this "beneficial" or conducive to the faith at all? Do not primitive beats inspire lewd and animalistic behaviour?

The very idea is paradoxical. It is the profanation of a sacred expression.
(04-13-2011, 08:43 PM)piabee Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:17 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

What if there's nothing wrong with the lyrics?

Then you play the songs backward until you find something offensive.
(04-13-2011, 08:45 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

I disagree.  Music can be a great distraction

That is part of the problem.

Quote: and a creative outlet

Creativity is only good if it is ordered to a good end. Not all creativity is good.

Quote: and if it isn't unhealthy it can have a positive impact on person.

Yes, but it's unhealthiness is the very thing in question.